PH-Show Programmer, Figure AnimatorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 572580BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Feb. 18, 2019
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Show Programmers facilitate development of animation for Audio-Animatronics® figures, animated props, or ride systems by programming intricately controlled themed attraction sequences, and/or integrating show control systems with rides, Audio-Animatronics® figures, and other show elements such as special effects, audio/video, show lighting, etc. These highly technical positions require strong creative intuition and the ability to collaborate closely with Creative, Engineering, Manufacturing, Media Production, and Theme Park Maintenance teams.
As a Figure Animator you will be responsible for creating compelling storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring Audio-Animatronics® characters to life in Disney Theme Park Attractions around the world. You will be constantly challenged to create innovative new ideas for animating, staging, and creating the illusion of life within a physical theme park attraction. We collaborate with Mechanical and Electrical Engineers and Creative Directors to deliver the creative intent of the directors within the limitations of the physical world.
- Effectively tell the story in a meaningful way through acting, movement, staging, with simple or complex articulated rigs.
- Create quality animation using digital tools, which adheres to the engineering limitations and requirements of an Audio-Animatronics® figure.
- Collaborate with and take direction from Directors and Animation Supervisors.
- Implement changes and complete animation programming per the production schedule.
- Develop and maintain a professional knowledge of necessary production tools.
- Maintain an open and professional demeanor regarding direction, changes and shifting requirements.
- Assists in creating and organizing character sheets, animation data, rigs, and/or models.
- Ability to work well on a team, understanding and integrating Creative, Production, Engineering, Project and Park Maintenance requirements.
- Works closely with Show Programmers, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, and Animation Production to Develop and support successful integration of animation in theme park attractions.
- Familiarity with maintaining and creating rigs for CG character animation.
- Ability to function in a dynamic work environment, managing multiple project tasks.
- Basic Knowledge of Robotic Animation.
- Basic knowledge of control systems.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Ability to provide some technical support for computer graphic animation applications.
- Strong software knowledge/experience with any combination: Maya, Motion Builder, Z-Brush, Adobe, Final Cut Pro, After Effects.
- Must be able to work without supervision but able to integrate inputs from many individuals and work as a team member.
- Must have a high tolerance for change and changing requirements.
- Able to communicate (verbally and in writing) clearly and concisely keeping many individuals informed.
- Experience in CG production for animation, live-action film, television or video games.
- Strong understanding of animation fundamentals, including timing and appeal.
- Flexible problem-solving skills and attention to detail and quality.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to clearly convey both artistic and technical concepts and processes.
Preferred EducationTwo or four year BA or BFA Degree in traditional Animation, Computer Animation,
or game development.
Demonstrate multiple years of on-the-job experience and training in real-world animation roles,
as indicated above.
Additional Information:Willingness to travel up to 25% is required
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.