Principal Data Engineer
Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 692612BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted 31/07/2019
- Architect and lead the implementation of distributed systems solutions to data engineering problems.
- Partner with management in hiring and team building
- Analyze business needs, and design and build high-quality solutions
- Balance resources, requirements, and complexity
- Collaborate with customer representatives, product and project management teams
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber professionals
Basic Qualifications:We are looking for a seasoned, dynamic engineer who wants to shape the way that a major, fortune 100 entertainment company engages with data analytics. You have shipped millions of lines of code. You have lead teams, in a technical (and maybe managerial) role. You think naturally in terms of tradeoffs between flexibility and simplicity, between usability and security, between timeline, budget, and quality.
We are looking for the following in a candidate:
- An educational background that has facilitated your technology career--surprise us!
- 10+ years of professional software experience
- Passion for building high-quality software and systems that deliver business value
- Passion about system design, with interests and experience across the architecture from virtual machine and language internals to distributed systems performance and analysis
- Fluency with the fundamentals of algorithms and data structures
- Spark, Hive, Databricks, and other big data technologies
- SQL and related tools ○ Docker and Kubernetes
- The AWS environment and toolset
- A range of JVM/CLR languages, as well as scripting/systems languages like Python
- Distributed systems and API design
- Testing practices (unit, integration, performance)
- Revision control with git
Preferred Qualifications:It would be great if you knew anything about:
- Kafka and other streaming technologies
- Dependency and build tools for continuous integration and deployment
- Elastic Search, Kibana, or other aggregation and search tools
- Teradata, Informatica, Snowflake, and other data warehouse solutions
- Tableau, MicroStrategy, d3, and other data visualization tools
- Data science, statistics, machine learning and other applied mathematics
- Data lake implementation and support
- DynamoDB or RDS
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.