Principal Show Electronic EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 7048580920220316 Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Mar. 10, 2023
“We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help encourage that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and build the never-before-seen! Are you ready to join this team and make your impact?
This role will perform Electronic Engineering activities related to attractions with electric motor controlled animated figures, animated props and show action equipment. Provide expertise in motion control systems, motor selection, motor drive design and selection and motor tuning using standard PID and advanced motion control techniques. Provide technical guidance to the project team members performing electronic engineering tasks: blue sky system definition, mock ups, theory of operation, circuit design, assembly design, system integration, facility sizing and supporting infrastructure, production, installation, and test and adjust. Enforce systems engineering process, discipline, and standards as well as ensuring a quality final product. Take ownership for budget, schedule, and quality of attraction related results.
The Principal Show Electronic Engineer will report to the Manager of Show Electronic Engineering.
- Makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities as related to motion control systems hardware and software, specification, design, implementation, tuning and commissioning.
- Reviews mechanical designs for control analysis, cabling paths, motor homing, electrical maintainability, and safety design.
- Develops and maintains animated figure, animated prop, and show action equipment cabling designs, motor control architecture documentation, and a plan for animation tuning and commissioning.
- Specifically tests and tunes individual motors for performance and creative intent while maintaining tuning parameters and any pertinent details to be documented for attraction turnover.
- Frequently reviews industry standards and supervises development for recommendation of motors, motor drives, connectors, cables, sensors, and encoders.
- Works with the software motion control team for control tool issues, changes, and features.
- Initiates and maintains extensive contact with key engineers and officials of other organizations and companies, requiring skill in persuasion and negotiation of critical issues.
- Develop specifications and test plans.
- Review and authorize for release detailed top level, layout and design drawings of electronic subsystems.
- Tackle sophisticated electrical and electromechanical systems to resolve design conflicts and revise requirements as required.
- Develop risk analysis and advise management, as required.
- Finalize detailed interface requirements between controls and ride mechanical and audio elements.
- Provide electronic Contractor support and verification of first article assembly and bench testing, as required.
- Support Show System operator and maintenance training.
You Will Have:
- Engineering professional experience totaling 10 (ten) or more years, including responsibility for motor and drive specification, motor control design and architecture, industrial automation or robotic control.
- PID Control Loop design, implementation and motor tuning experience.
- Experience with Elmo EASII / Maxon EPOS / Mitsubishi FR Configurator 2 / Copley CME
- Advanced Motion Control techniques (feed forward, gain scheduling, etc.)
- Advanced motor application (servo, VFD, stepper, vector drive, etc.)
- Specification and application of position feedback (incremental, absolute, optical, magnetic)
Preferred Qualifications :
- Strong hardware knowledge and hands-on field installation experience required.
- Must have a high tolerance for change and changing requirements.
- Must be willing to travel, sometimes for extended stays. 6 to 12 months of relocation may be required on some projects.
- Ability to present technical concepts in manner understandable by non-technical people
- PLC programming
Required Education :
- BS Electronic Engineering
This position is located in Glendale, CA.
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
The hiring range for this position in Glendale, California is $ 123,000 to $ 165,000 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Disability accommodation for employment applications
The Walt Disney Company and its Affiliated Companies are Equal Employment Opportunity employers and welcome all job seekers including individuals with disabilities and veterans with disabilities. If you have a disability and believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or apply for a position, email Candidate.Accommodations@Disney.com with your request. This email address is not for general employment inquiries or correspondence. We will only respond to those requests that are related to the accessibility of the online application system due to a disability.
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.