Principal Show Mechanical EngineerApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 7122012220220517 Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jul. 27, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of Disney’s Parks and Resorts business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, its talented teams of Imagineers are responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation and commissioning - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
What we’re looking for…
Principal Mechanical Engineer to join the department delivering animatronic figures and show action equipment where durability, long life, reliability and safety are a must. We are responsible for various engineering tasks: concepts, mock ups, design, hazard analysis, FMEA & system safety, FEA, design reviews, documentation and the overall functionality to fulfill the creative intent. The candidate will be responsible for leading and mentoring engineers and designers through various phases of the engineering process, which includes design from concept development through final design, production, installation and commissioning for a variety of theme park attractions.
- Mentor engineers and designers to produce ingenious designs that exceed expectations.
- Participate with peers in the development of critical Disney standards and practices.
- Enable teams to resolve technical issues that involve difficult trade-offs while providing a positive environment
- Develop & negotiate technical requirements from high level experience/story descriptions and artwork for complex projects
- Manage entire scope to conceive, design, & deliver a wide variety of innovative show elements including animatronic figures and show action equipment ensuring durability, reliability, and safety while meeting creative intent and requirements
- Be responsible for certifying Safety rated Show elements meet Disney standards and local standards
- Identify and qualify new vendor/equipment providers in order to identify opportunities for outside collaborations
- Represent Show Mechanical Engineering to the project core team, outside vendors and Disney Leadership
- Collaborate with the project procurement team to bid and award outside vendor contracts of high value
What you bring to the role…
- Ability to see the big picture and concisely communicate the project vision
- Ability to proactively solve problems, adjust scope, and update management
- Extensive engineering experience to oversee and drive an engineering culture of technical excellence
- Ability to manage large, complex vendor design, fabrication and commissioning activities
- Ability to write and review technical documents such as Requirements Specifications, Theory of Operations, Scopes of Work, Hazard Analyses and Acceptance Test Procedures
- Thorough knowledge of and familiarity with US industry and international standards (e.g. NEC, CEC, NFPA, ASTM, IEEE, ANSI, ISO, EN, etc.), as well as, Disney standards (required)
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing and quality control processes
- Strong hardware knowledge and hands-on field installation and test experience
- Superior "clean sheet" design sensibilities
- Strong knowledge of engineering design tools e.g. SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Navisworks or BIM 360, ANSYS or other FEA program, MATLAB
- Willingness to travel both domestic and international as required.
- Availability to work various shifts commensurate with global project requirements (typically 8am – 5 pm)
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience
- Professional Engineer License
- Themed Entertainment experience
- B.S in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Engineering Mechanics.
- Masters in Engineering
The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.