Project Specifier PrincipalApply Now Apply Later Job ID 699958BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jan. 08, 2020
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
The Principal Project Specifier role at Walt Disney Imagineering is part of a core team of 4-5 people located in Glendale, CA and serves as a world-wide resource to advance the technical design of our project work across theme parks, resorts and cruise ships. The Standards and Specifications Studio resides within the Architectural Design Studio of the Design + Planning Studio and is instrumental in driving design and delivery. This global team member is primarily responsible for interfacing on projects across all phases and disciplines. In addition to preparing project manuals for facilities, show and building specialties, this team member will maintain the Disney Standards and Master Guide Specifications. In addition, as a Principal, this team member will assist in advancing and leading the Standards and Specification Studio and will promote quality technical designs in our global portfolio of projects at Disney Parks and Resorts in California, Florida, Hong Kong, Paris, Shanghai and Tokyo.
- Prepare Project Manuals based on Disney Master Guide Specifications.
- Manage outside consultants.
- Monitor quality and completeness of Contract Documents.
- Develop, negotiate and establish new Disney standards of practice.
- Draft new specification sections on an as‐needed basis for use in Project Manuals and for incorporation into the Disney Master Guide Specifications.
- Organize and supervise the preparation of specification sections for use in Project Manuals by outside consultants (e.g. Finish Hardware) and in house disciplines (e.g. Civil, Structural, Mechanical, etc.).
- Collaborate with various stakeholders in project specifications and Disney Master Guide Specification development.
- Lead project team’s technical design developments and recommend material, assembly, and system solutions.
- Coordinate and conduct informal reviews with Design Team stakeholders.
- Participate in Design Review Meetings.
- Serve as a peer reviewer of Contract Documents (drawings and specifications) prepared by WDI or third party consultants.
- Lead Specification and Standards review sessions with specification stakeholders in WDI worldwide.
- Train outside consultants and in house project teams in quality requirements, material selection, and specification methods.
- Provide technical support for project team members deployed in the field to support construction related activities.
- Create responses to RFIs, analyze and respond to contractor requests for substitution, evaluate deficient work (construction/fabrication) and recommend remediation and/or testing method(s) to achieve quality results.
- Participate in value assessments, including Value Engineering negotiations, Cost/Benefit analysis, LifeCycle analysis, and A3 problem solving method.
- Independently chair meetings and lead training sessions on Technical Design issues.
- Mentor and develop Senior Staff Specifier(s), design leads, and junior staff in the development of Project
- Specifications, in the use of BSD Software, and in Technical Design issues.
- Assist in interviewing, evaluating and recommending outside Specification Consultants for hiring.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in design and/or construction, working on complex projects and in highly integrated teams—including 3 or more years working on International projects.
- Minimum 5 years making field observations of construction
- Have a strong working knowledge of BSD SpecLink‐E specification database software, or other specification software with a demonstrated ability to learn BSD SpecLink‐E database software, with advanced skills to edit, develop, design, and manipulate specifications including skills to manipulate software configuration and customize settings.
- Be able to analyze and verbalize complex issues and solutions. Be capable of preparing and communicating material and system recommendations.
- Train specification staff to build collaborative relationships and be able to quickly build a consensus of support for quality technical designs.
- Be able to assess outside Consultant technical capabilities and assist in interviewing, evaluating and recommending for hiring.
- Able to monitor tasks of specification staff, consultants, and coordinate delivery of technical specifications for all facilities to stay within schedule and budget.
- Experience in value assessments, including Value Engineering negotiations, Cost/Benefit analysis, LifeCycle analysis, and familiarity with A3 problem solving method.
- Demonstrate ability to assist and mentor design leads in the review and approval of contractor submittals for conformance to specifications. Ability to respond quickly to questions arising from teams supporting construction activities.
- Have extensive knowledge of construction and experience observing construction with the ability to assess conformance with specifications including reviewing and stamping submittals.
- Minimum Specification Credential Requirements: Construction Specification Institute (CSI) Construction Document Technologist or equivalent.
- Strong working knowledge of Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) MasterFormat , Section Format, MSOffice programs‐‐Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel and basic cloud collaboration tools such as Bluebeam.
- Be able to read and understand architectural and engineering construction drawings.
- Be able to open and read electronic drawings‐‐AutoCAD drawings, Revit Models, and NavisWorks files.
- Possess a complete understanding of the Project Life Cycles (Blue Sky through Project Turn Over).
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree—in a design field such as Architecture, Interior Design, or an Engineering Discipline.
- Professionally licensed Architect, Engineer, or General Contractor.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.