Already applied?View Dashboard
R&D Imagineer PrincApply Now Apply Later Job ID 564596BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jun. 12, 2018
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Responsibilities:Specific tasks may include:
- Overall electrical system architecture from power to servo drives, sensors and computation.
- Electric motor drive selection and implementation.
- Selection of wiring for robotic applications subject to fatigue life and space constraints.
- Selection of connectors for robotic applications subject to environmental, maintenance and space constraints.
- Management of vendors as required.
- Design meeting safety requirements and applicable code.
- Test and verification.
- The interaction between mechanical hardware, electrical hardware and control systems is critical. The Principal Electrical Engineer works with mechanical and software engineers and is expected to be a critical team player integrating software, control systems, and hardware during design and development of robotic systems.
- 10 years industry experience.
- Demonstrated experience independently designing, specifying, integrating, and testing power electronics, computer/control systems hardware, servo drives, and I/O systems.
- Experience specifying DC and brushless DC servomotors.
- Experience in specifying or designing power conversion circuitry
- Experience in sourcing, designing and fielding battery systems.
- Demonstrated experience specifying sensors for robotic or other systems.
- Understanding of CANbus and/or EtherCAT.
- Ability to write, debug and/or review C and C++ software/firmware.
- A positive, energetic and collaborative attitude necessary to provide support and guidance to peers.
- Familiarity with microcontroller firmware development and debugging tools.
- Experience specifying or designing brushless DC servomotors, e.g. winding parameters.
- CAN bus programming
- EtherCAT programming
- Board level design of sensors such as encoders, including CAN and EtherCAT communication.
- Understanding of CANbus and EtherCAT electrical specifications and hardware requirements.
- Familiarity with common board-level communications protocols such as SPI, I2C, etc.
- Demonstrated experience designing to relevant electrical codes.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
Additional Information:©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.