Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 701823BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted 24/12/2019
Job Summary:The R&D Imagineer - Advanced Creative Development supports the development of innovative new Disney entertainment experiences through the creative application of cutting-edge technology.
This role assists Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development project teams with concept development, visualization, hardware/software prototyping, and communication of new experience concepts and technologies for Disney theme parks, resorts, and experiential entertainment worldwide.
Successful candidates will possess a unique combination of creative and technical expertise, demonstrated by a portfolio of projects showcasing a proven track record of working across creative and engineering disciplines to design, prototype, and deliver technology-driven entertainment experiences. You must be able to translate ideas into a visual medium for discussion and iteration, and rapidly prototype ideas through interactive hardware and software mockups. You are an excellent verbal, written, and visual communicator, who can clearly and persuasively present complex concepts to drive action and inspire others.
You are a well-rounded creative technologist who is passionate about interactive and experiential entertainment. You possess a strong intellectual curiosity, always following the latest advances in technology and entertainment while pro-actively growing your skills. You thrive on collaboration across multiple disciplines and organizational groups. You will work to support the goals of a project by taking initiative, being flexible, and consistently delivering above and beyond the tasks and responsibilities to which you are assigned.
- Support development of new WDI R&D experience and technology concepts through requirements gathering, group brainstorms, and technical/competitive research
- Keep up-to-date on the evolving social, cultural, technology, and design landscape and apply knowledge of new trends and innovation in the marketplace
- Translate new experience and technology concepts into explanatory visuals for discussion and iteration (e.g. illustration, 3D modeling, graphic design, technical drawings, animation, infographics)
- Help build and support small and large-scale interactive prototypes, mock-ups, and play-tests using a variety of industry-standard and Disney-proprietary software and hardware tools
- Provide necessary inputs to Project Leads and Producers to assist in the definition of project scope, schedule, and budget
- Collaborate across diverse cross-functional teams, always communicating clearly and with a positive and inclusive attitude
- Conceive of technically and creatively innovative park guest experiences and be able to generate a project plan for preliminary exploration and proof-of-concept execution
- Persuasively and clearly pitch these new experience concepts to department Sr. Staff for funding
- Assist in or be solely responsible for the development and delivery of presentations and demos that clearly and persuasively communicate projects to a variety of stakeholders, including high-level executives
- Act as a positive and collaborative representative of WDI R&D and contribute to the culture and community of the department, adding value to the organization outside of direct assignments
- Must learn to understand the core values of the Walt Disney Company, particularly Disney parks worldwide and quickly produce high-quality deliverables on tight timelines while maintaining keen attention to detail within and toward these values
- A broad understanding, comfort, and enthusiasm for technology and the ability to quickly and proactively learn new technologies, techniques, and tools
- Demonstrated proficiency with software prototyping tools and game engines (e.g. Unreal, Max/MSP, Touch Designer, Processing, Sketch, Unity, OpenGL, AR/VR)
- Portfolio that demonstrates strong design skills and sensibilities, with a well-developed sense of aesthetics (e.g. illustrations, presentations, graphic designs, 3D models, UI/UX mock-ups, production drawings)
- Proven Experience with design and productivity applications (e.g. Apple Keynote, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Google Apps)
- Experience writing code and/or scripting (e.g. Python, C++/Arduino, OpenCV, HTML)
- Prior experience creating technology-driven entertainment/interactive experiences with broad appeal for an audience
- Confident in Professional writing skills and the ability or willingness to become a strong presenter / public speaker
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to self-manage multiple tasks and priorities amidst a dynamic and constantly changing innovation environment
- Prior experience developing interactive and experiential entertainment for a public audience (e.g. alternate reality games, live action role play experiences, interactive theater, location-based games, dynamic narrative)
- Demonstrated experience with hardware prototyping tools (e.g. Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone, microcontrollers, sensors)
- Some experience in 3D solid and/or surface modeling, rigging, or animation (e.g. Maya, SolidWorks, SketchUp)
- Experience in the design and fabrication of physical objects, props, signage, or setwork (e.g. carpentry, 3D printing, solid/surface modeling, laser cutting, etc.)
- Experience in video/film, sound/music, and/or live theatrical production
- Experience with user research, usability testing, and/or playtesting
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree or comparable industry experience in a field related to entertainment design or creative technology (e.g. Industrial Design, Media Arts, Animation, Experience Design, Entertainment Technology)
- Additional engineering degree, minor, or coursework preferred (e.g. Computer Science Engineering, Human- Computer Interaction, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering)
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Imagineering, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.