Already applied?View Dashboard
Realtime CG SupervisorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 657949BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Television Animation Date posted Apr. 04, 2019
Job Summary:Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
Responsibilities:The Realtime CG Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the digital elements of production, specifically focusing on work created in a realtime engine. The Realtime CG Supervisor, in partnership with the producer, is responsible for the delivery of final frames, acting as support and leadership for team members on all matters regarding pipeline, workflow, and technology in regards to the realtime engine. They will also work with the Art Director to ensure all CG assets and final look-of-picture achieve a creative and technical quality bar appropriate for the production. This role requires applicants to have advanced working knowledge and experience in realtime pipelines and engines.
● Partner with the producer to scope and bid each episode of the production.
● Supervise asset creation from an external vendor, ensuring all assets are usable in-engine and conform to game development best practices.
● Supervise Realtime Cinematic Directors and Realtime Lighting Technical Directors on the development and export of frames from realtime engine to post-production departments, ensuring that each episode hits an acceptable quality bar and is aligned with the look-of-picture.
● Responsible for all technical elements of CG asset creation in a realtime environment, with the ability to troubleshoot various problems that arise during production.
● Oversee the setup of each in-engine project, and create guidelines and procedures around workflow within the realtime engine.
● Work with artists to create animatics in-engine using rough and blocking assets.
● Create various stand-in assets and rigs as needed.
● Partner with Technology Supervisor on the testing of experimental workflows and pipelines.
Basic Qualifications:● Extensive background in realtime engine (game engine) workflows and pipelines.
● Experience with interactive design and engineering.
● Experience working with Perforce or equivalent version control system in a production environment.
● Strong creative eye, with the ability to guide artists towards a set look-of-picture.
● Strong understanding of physically based rendering, and the rendering pipeline for lights and shaders.
● Working experience with managing external vendors and asset hand-off.
● Demonstrated ability to write artist tools and game logic using C# .
● Ability to evaluate and resolve technical problems with processes and tools during production.
● Ability to thrive in an environment with ever-evolving processes and goals.
● Understanding of standard DCC packages and workflows, such as Maya and Houdini.
Preferred Qualifications:● Experience with Unity realtime engine.
● Experience with writing custom shaders within a realtime environment.
● Experience with motion capture.
● Experience with virtual reality, augmented reality, or game productions.
● Passion in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.