Already applied?View Dashboard
Realtime Cinematic DirectorApply Now Apply Later Job ID 656346BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Television Animation Date posted Apr. 04, 2019
Job Summary:Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
Responsibilities:The Realtime Cinematic Director is responsible for telling stories through realtime CG animatics, camera and staging, character blocking, rough cuts, and final edits of assigned episodes inside of a realtime engine, using various tools and production techniques. This role is both creative and technical, as the Realtime Cinematic Director will take a script and turn it into a first pass of a visual narrative, using a pre-existing library of assets, in a realtime engine. The Realtime Cinematic Director will work closely with the CG Supervisor, Art Director, and Animation Director to shape the story of assigned episodes of the production, and is responsible for telling the story of each assigned script visually. The Realtime Cinematic Director is responsible for assembling assets, animation, fx, and lighting into the realtime engine.
● Create a CG animatic from a script in a realtime engine using pre-existing assets, camera layout, and character blocking, staging, and non-linear editing.
● Partner with Animation Supervisor, CG Supervisor, and Art Director to inform animation and fx work being created by external vendors, after hand-off of CG animatic is complete.
● Craft a compelling visual story for each assigned episode, from script to final images.
● Update cameras and edits throughout the production as new assets, animations, fx and lighting are created by other artists.
● Review project setup during production with CG Supervisor to ensure that best practices are being adhered to.
● Create scratch dialogue and sound effects for CG animatic and rough cut purposes, as needed.
● Work with lighters to ensure final frames of assigned episodes are properly exported from the realtime engine.
Basic Qualifications:● Extensive experience with storytelling through camera, animation, editing and sound, OR interactive design.
● Strong understanding of camera layout, character blocking, timing and pacing.
● Technical knowledge of film, television or game pipelines and standard workflows.
● Ability to thrive in an environment with ever-evolving processes and goals.
● Understanding of standard animation software packages, such as Maya.
● Well organized, ability to manage deadlines and deliverables.
Preferred Qualifications:● Experience with Unity or other realtime engines.
● Experience with interactive design.
● Experience with motion capture.
● Experience with virtual reality or augmented reality productions.
● Passion in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.