Already applied?View Dashboard
Realtime Technical ArtistApply Now Apply Later Job ID 656343BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Television Animation Date posted Apr. 04, 2019
Job Summary:Disney Television Animation is an industry leader in the production of quality animated properties across Disney-branded channels and platforms worldwide. The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment (DTCI) is a global, multiplatform media, technology and distribution organization for high-quality content created by Disney’s Studio Entertainment and Media Networks groups.
These two groups are collaborating on an experimental content production initiative, which involves the use of realtime technology (game engines) to produce high-quality linear animation and transmedia experiences. We are seeking experienced, motivated self-starters passionate about transformational innovation and exploring future-looking content production technologies. This is the second phase of a successful R&D project and is expected to last approximately one year, and, in success, to continue on to a third phase.
Responsibilities:The Realtime Technical Artist reports to the Realtime CG Supervisor and is tasked with supporting various in-engine support functions, specifically in regards to asset optimization and in-engine technical guidance. The Realtime Technical Artist works with various members of the team to ensure that external vendor assets perform in realtime during the course of the production, and provides notes or adjusts assets on a case-by-case basis. The Realtime Technical Artist is considered an authority on realtime production pipelines and workflows, and provides guidance and support the production team in all matters relating to the realtime engine, its tools, and various workflows around it. This role’s ideal candidate also has a background in interactive content, and can support various interactive tests and research throughout the production in the form of interactive design and engineering.
● Setup and maintain the realtime project for use across multiple artistic disciplines.
● Assemble and optimize assets within scenes.
● Proactively communicate with production team to resolve workflow blockers.
● Work closely with Realtime Production Coordinator to ensure assets are up-to-date.
● Maintain clean Perforce depot and resolve any artist P4 Workspace issues.
● Test and validate assets, and raise any issues with the Realtime Production Coordinator and Realtime CG Supervisor.
● Research, test, and implement third party tools for artists.
● Develop interactive content based on events and user input.
● Generate documentation throughout the production.
Basic Qualifications:● Experience in realtime production, specifically Unity.
● Experience working with Perforce or equivalent version control system in a production environment.
● Ability to write C# scripts to control runtime logic as well as editor tools for artists working in production.
● Ability to organize geometry, materials, and lights for optimal performance.
● Understanding of physically-based rendering best practices.
● Understanding of Unity timeline, playable directors, and animation clips.
● Knowledge of Unity’s canvas UI system.
● Able to communicate technical information effectively – both written and verbally.
● Ability to strategically solve complex technical issues.
● Understanding of standard DCC packages and workflows, such as Maya and Houdini.
Preferred Qualifications:● Experience with motion capture.
● Experience with graphics engineering in a realtime engine.
● Experience with virtual reality, augmented reality, or game productions.
● Passion in regards to evolving and changing technologies.
About Disney Television Animation:
Disney Television Animation loves characters. Characters reveal our deepest emotions and what it means to be human… even if you're an animated duck, mouse, muppet, lion, boy or girl. Are you the type of character that loves animation and wants to be part of the team that makes the magic happen? Disney Television Animation, an integral part of The Walt Disney Company, creates many of the company's most beloved animated shows. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals, we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Television Animation.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.