Research Scientist SrApply Now Apply Later Job ID 708421BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jan. 15, 2020
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Responsibilities:Disney Research Los Angeles is looking for a Research Scientist in Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, holding a PhD or significant industry experience in these areas.
Acting with minimal supervision and some degree of autonomy to influence key decision makers, the duties of a Research Scientist include:
- Conduct complex, advanced research on areas of interest to Disney Research and the Business Units that provide funding to Disney Research
- Develop new and advanced cutting-edge techniques and algorithms
- Oversee, prepare, and conduct special studies and research projects
- Survey relevant technologies and stay abreast of latest developments in those
- Draft and submit patents based on research.
- Develop and implement demo systems in software and hardware
- Transfer and implement results and technology in prototypes relevant to the Disney businesses
- Learn and understand business needs and requirements and conduct aligned research and development activities to deliver business relevant technology building blocks
Besides these research and development duties, additional duties are:
- Assisting in the hiring process of Post Doctoral Researchers, Lab Associates and Interns
- Closely align and integrate with the Disney businesses to create value for the company by developing cutting edge technology
- Contribute and deliver to major research projects and programs of Disney Research
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relations with collaborators within and external to the company.
Required EducationPhD from an accredited academic institution
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.