Ride Control Systems Engineer, SeniorApply NowApply Later Job ID 808932BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products, Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jun. 10, 2021
Ride Control Systems Engineers work within WDI’s Ride Studio on one or more project teams, and are responsible for systems engineering activities for ride systems. These engineering activities cover all aspects of ride control system design and implementation including integration of mechanical, electrical, and software systems, from concept to commissioning, for a wide variety of innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for novel rider experiences, high reliability, and safety. RCS Engineers perform in a highly collaborative environment on diverse teams that include both technical and creative members, and are comfortable in environments where scope and requirements change frequently.
Picture yourself being amongst the “first riders” of the ride you just helped design, build, and commission!
Responsibilities:Join a small team to conceive, design, and deliver an innovative solution that will be used as a core product for future ride systems.
Conduct systems engineering for ride control systems.
- Define product use cases and user needs.
- Develop and capture requirements and functional specifications in documents, drawings, and models.
- Perform hazard assessments, and failure modes & effects analysis.
- Ensure compliance with control system safety standards such as IEC 61508.
- Develop control strategies and algorithms.
- Research new products, technologies, and methodologies.
- Design, model, and analyze electrical, data communication, and dynamic systems.
- Define control system and network architectures including wireless communications.
- Develop implementation plans and budgets.
- Develop verification and validation strategies.
- Develop and implement mock-ups and prototypes for proof-of concept efforts.
- Develop test requirements and documents, and lead testing efforts.
- Approximately 10 years of experience with design, engineering, installation, and commissioning of control systems for electromechanical systems
- Experienced in safety-related system design, including defensive design techniques, and defensive programming
- Extensive knowledge of control processors, components, and communication networks used in multi-processing real-time industrial and/or embedded applications
- Proficient in software/system algorithm design and modeling methodologies using UML/SysML
- Experience with multitasking software platforms and design approaches
- Experience with requirements management, verification planning, test plan/procedures, and test execution
- Knowledge and familiarity with functional safety standards, including IEC 61508, IEC 62061, ISO 13849
- Solid skills in technical document writing
- Ability to handle multiple complex efforts simultaneously, coordinate team efforts, and manage tasks and priorities
- Demonstrated experience in autonomous vehicle controls and sensors
- Proficient with engineering design tools, including NoMagic’s MagicDraw, AutoCAD, Matlab, Simulink, Solidworks
- Solid understanding of communication technologies/protocols: TCP/IP, CAN, serial, ProfiNET, Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT
- Proficient in Rockwell and/or Siemens automation systems architecture and components
- Demonstrated experience in wireless communications for control and monitoring electromechanical system
- Experience in broad application of control system theory (closed-loop control, MIMO systems, positioning and navigation)
- Knowledge and familiarity with amusement and automation industry standards, including ASTM F2291
- Demonstrated experience in scheduling and estimating control systems development and implementation scope
- Solid understanding of kinematics as it pertains to ride systems and machines
- Expertise in motor and motion control methods and components
- Expertise in designing and implementing closed-loop motion control
- Ability to travel and work both domestically and internationally, for varying durations that could be over 1 year
- As a minimum a Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering field from an accredited university
- Some Physics Coursework (Motion Equations / Dynamics) required
- Some Computer Engineering Coursework highly preferred
- Some System Engineering coursework preferred
- Control Systems Engineering and/or Control Theory a plus
Additional Information:Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.