Senior Manager, Business AffairsApply NowApply Later Job ID 783822BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted May 04, 2021
- Support the day-to-day business affairs function that reviews property rights and third-party (including above-the-line talent) rights, obligations and approvals for the merchandising of DPEP’s film franchise with legal and provides business direction to all divisions of DPEP globally.
- Establish and enforce processes, policies and best practice to ensure the strategic, legal and financial guidelines in connection with rights acquisitions, labor (e.g., SAG-AFTRA, DGA, WGA) and talent negotiations are followed.
- Partner with DPEP Legal, DPEP Controllership and DPEP Contract Administration to guide those organizations on the proper set up of property codes that directly impact third party participation payments.
- Structure and negotiate production agreements (e.g., producer, writer, talent agreements, production services, format licenses, etc.) and advise and consult with clients regarding production-related business affairs matters including any guild and union issues.
- Review and advise on creative content for DPEP productions to ensure compliance with TWDC precedent, contract and guild requirements.
- Negotiate and review talent and production deals for The Muppets Studio.
- Negotiate and review author and option/purchase deals for the publishing business. Review TV commercials produced by publishing licensees for talent, music and third party content issues.
- Establish and maintain client relationships with regular, effective and timely communications concerning deal negotiation and business strategy.
- Collaborate with Legal Affairs to ensure long-form agreements are signed on a timely basis.
- Analyze and provide executive summaries of the merchandise related aspects of key rights acquisitions, talent agreements and distribution arrangements.
- Serve as a contact for all other divisions of TWDC (particularly the Walt Disney Studios, Twentieth Century, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Disney Channel, Disney Interactive, Disney Music Group, Theme Parks, etc.) for issues related to merchandising and licensing.
- Follow “best practices” and contribute toward improving deal parameters, deal memo templates, departmental process and procedures as well as contribute to creative problem solving on deals and projects.
- 5 years or more of applicable television, film or new media business affairs or legal affairs experience.
- Solid expertise with respect to guild and union agreements, contracts and intellectual property law
- Exceptional negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities, first class communication skills (written and verbal) and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills, financial analytical skills and verbal and writing skills (discussion, analysis, succinctly summarizing key issues
- Must have a four year degree and a J.D.
- California Bar Membership preferred.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.