Senior Manager, Data Engineering
Glendale, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763099BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jul. 14, 2020
Job Summary:At the Walt Disney Studios, we tell stories. The Data Services team tells our story with data. Our mission is to help bring data and decision-making closer together at the Studios. We use modern technologies and an agile/lean culture to bring insights, automation, and cutting edge technologies to anyone who wants to harness data.
We’re looking for a Sr Manager, Data Engineering to lead a group of data engineers and product analysts. The work can span anything from helping Disney Music Group analysts understand consumer trends on Spotify to tracking the social conversation around Mulan with the Consumer Analytics group. All together, we support over 150+ analysts, data scientists, marketers and executives throughout the Walt Disney Studios.
- Clarify the vision - See the forest above the trees and inspire the team toward the goal.
- Lead - Run your team effectively by delegating work and managing accountability. Coach them up and seek out growth opportunities. Run your own hiring pipeline.
- Command data - Leverage petabytes of data daily with Spark and other industry-standard big data tools.
- Empower the business - create value through the increased adoption of data; understand the data science and business intelligence landscape to guide the adoption of the right tools and processes.
- Mentor - The team should want to strive to your technical capability; you know when to let them drive major decisions and when you need to step in and break a tie.
- Drive the conversation - Have the soft social, thoughtful and empathic skills at a level necessary for a large team and many customers.
- Be responsible - Help set and meet the expectations of the engineering team. Create processes that improve code review, documentation, and engineering culture.
- 15+ years of team-based programming experience
- 5+ years Managing and mentoring team members
- Deep expertise with Spark, Python, SQL/Hive, and Scala
- Proven experience designing data platforms or data tools; experience creating deployment pipelines or integration testing frameworks for ETL a plus.
- Experience with AWS (S3, EC2, EMR) and orchestration/CI tools (Kubernetes + Docker, Jenkins or equivalent); experience with Databricks is a huge plus.
- Familiarity with data science methodologies (i.e. scikit-learn, keras) and supporting data science teams with automation and tooling.
- Familiarity with Agile methodology
- Strong presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Team oriented with extensive experience working in small close-knit teams will little supervision
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or a Physical Science from an accredited institution is preferred. Substantial equivalent engineering work experience may be acceptable.
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.