Senior Manager Systems Reliability Engineering (SRE)
Glendale, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770954BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Dec. 17, 2020
Job Summary:Responsible for building, leading and managing a high performing team of manager, leads and systems reliability engineers, supporting a variety of complex systems, infrastructure and application for The Walt Disney Company. Systems Reliability Engineers use a software engineering approach to architect, design, automate, monitor, and build applications at scale. This includes operating and engineering software with close business segment alignment to deliver platforms through efficient, effective and resilient architectures. The SRE role entails talented engineers that are focused on improving quality through a data driven approach: instrumentation, automation, functional/unit testing.
The Sr. Manager of SRE is responsible for clearly communicating a vision to the team that defines the team’s purpose, ownership, contribution and commitment to Disney excellence and a business enabling DevOps culture. This person directly oversees, mentors and develops line managers, team leads and SREs on technical leadership, reliability engineering, agile project management, design engineering, software engineering, architecture, problem analysis, customer service, optimization and collaboration.
In addition, the Sr. Manager of SRE will be responsible for overseeing technical analysis, cost and effort estimation, production environment platform/system design, architectural fit and compliance, resource schedules, delivery milestones, collaboration, and overall production environment quality. This person will lead a team of manager, leads and engineers in a fast-paced dynamic environment. The Sr. Manager of SRE reports to a Director or VP with responsibilities including career management and setting the operational direction for areas of ownership.
The ideal candidate will have a history of “hands on” top level systems reliability engineering and providing senior level technical direction on enterprise level projects. Exemplary leadership and communication abilities (both verbal and written) are a must; this role will partner closely with business and technology executives in delivering systems which meet and exceed business objectives.
Excellent interpersonal, business development and communication skills are an absolute must with a demonstrated ability to work well with engineering, creative and marketing leaders; including the ability to thoughtfully present to senior executives. Required: Experience setting strategic vision, owning and resolving issues that impact design, product success, or address future concepts, products, or technologies; Disciplined approach to maintaining and enforcing engineering best practices; Ability to synthesize robust and cost-effective technical solutions against customer requirements providing buy versus build decision making; Consistent, compassionate and inspiring manager to the team; Positive can-do partnership attitude while working with teams, cross-functional teams and cross-functional business units; Must be detail oriented, self-organized, and capable of simultaneously tracking multiple issues of varying complexity.
- Create and Promote Strategic Vision – Work with business leaders on setting a strategy to increase business value, align team to business priorities and prepare the company for future disruptions. This includes defining the vision, communicating and selling the vision to leadership, stakeholders and the team.
- Stakeholder, Partner and Customer Relations – Meet with segment technology leaders, stakeholders, partners, and customers to help solve business problems through the use of new and established technology platforms, tools and methodologies. Promote collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Technology Management – Identify key platform technology gaps and close them by adoption, buy, or build as appropriate working closely with other engineering and infrastructure leaders and teams in the scoping, evaluation, integration, and adoption of new solutions. For key technologies under team(s) management: ensure proper lifecycle management such as version lifecycle, incident and problem management, support and adoption, and budget management.
- Capacity, Performance and Incident Management – Lead the team in ensuring proactive daily, weekly, quarterly, and yearly review of site, application, system infrastructure performance review occurs and that the proper steps are taking to right size the environment and identify key problems or areas of improvement. Ensure the team executes against organizational incident, change, and problem management procedures.
- Recruiting, staffing, resource management. – Ensure ongoing projects and team objectives are resourced effectively to accomplish goals; manage daily, weekly, and monthly cross project prioritization and execution; assist executive team in determining proper staffing levels for the team(s) and work closely with internal recruiting and agencies as appropriate to meet those goals; onboard new technical staff ensuring proper process and technical onboarding occurs
- 5 years of experience leading engineering teams responsible for supporting and deploying internet-based products or services
- Detailed knowledge of core internet protocols including, but not limited to TCP/IP, DNS and HTTP
- Proven experience managing software development lifecycle platforms and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communications, proven ability to develop and deliver presentations geared for Senior and Executive Management
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and proven experience managing teams in highly matrixed organizations
- Working knowledge of advanced scripting and programing languages such as Python, Go, C++, Ruby, or JAVA
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Experience with web application development platforms, tools and utilities.
- Understanding of Continuous Delivery and Integration frameworks including deployment automation and configuration management components such as Chef, Puppet, CFEngine; test and review components such as Jenkins, Gitlab CI; source and bit repositories such as git, artifactory, nexus, maven.
- Experiencing managing multiple hosting environments including public and private cloud solutions.
- Experience with scripting infrastructure with tools like Terraform or Cloud Formation
- 7 years of experience leading multiple or cross functional engineering teams responsible for supporting and deploying internet-based products or services and
- 3-5 years of hands on previous experience developing or supporting enterprise online products and services
Required EducationBachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or related field
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.