Senior Show Electronic Engineer (Projection)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10057776 Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Sep. 18, 2023
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of Disney’s Parks and Resorts business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, its talented teams of Imagineers are responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation and commissioning - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
What we’re looking for…
Experienced Projection Engineer to work with the Show Systems team within Walt Disney Imagineering’s Design and Delivery team. The Show Electronic Designer Senior will design and develop projection systems in support of the show concepts and to deliver the visual media that meets show requirements. This may include being asked to Select Projectors, screens, optics and mounting systems as required to produce the required image size, resolution and brightness, color and contrast required for each show element.
- Establish and develop technical standards, processes and vendors for projectors, screens, and lens and light sources.
- Work with creative/project team, Visual Effects team and Video Media design to define and produce an integrated system that meets the show requirements.
- Assist with the planning of attraction level design/production/procurement strategy and activities.
- Assist in the creation of estimates, budgets and schedules for projection systems.
- Assist with Mock-ups and proof of concepts of projection systems.
- Work with the Creative Technologies Group and R&D on next generation projection systems.
- Establish and develop technical standards, processes and vendors for projectors, screens, lens and light sources.
- Lead Planning of attraction level design/production/procurement strategy and activities
- Provide oversight and management of all production activities ensuring budget & schedule are met.
- Plan and Lead Projection System Mock-Ups.
- Invent new Projection Techniques
- Specify Custom Optics and Lens Systems.
- Confirm feasibility of high-risk projection systems.
- Work with Creative on new applications of projected media.
- Define required Mock-ups for projection applications.
- Design and develop multi-projector systems.
- Some travel domestic and international may be required.
- At least 5 years of experience
- Experience with Projection Layouts (i.e. throws, format)
- Image Blending Techniques
- Distortion Correction
- Image Folding
- Digital Projection Systems (Video & Digital Cinema)
- Communication / Automation software and controls
- Lens Selection Criteria
- Front projection and rear projection screen technology
- 3D and 2D technology
- Legacy Film Systems (70mm, 35mm, 16mm)
- Luminosity and color spectral science
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineer preferred, but not required.
Benefits and Perks:
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
The hiring range for this position is $97,088 to $130,240 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.