Senior Software Engineer (Ruby)
Glendale, CA - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 764540BR Location Glendale, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 13, 2020
Job Summary:*This position is open for remote candidates*
Our team builds content distribution platforms that power the web and app experiences at Disney, both domestically and internationally. With many users and developers working off our systems around the globe, we need a talented and motivated engineer like you to help design and build scalable APIs. If you like to move quickly in a startup-like environment, this might be the job for you!
Responsibilities:The Senior Software Engineer plays a leading role on a high-performance team. The successful candidate will lead the development of quality code for multiple Disney systems and will define and enforce coding standards and development best practices. The Senior Software Engineer owns the technical implementation of projects and is expected to provide training, guidance, and mentorship to other members of team. This is a senior level development role that is expected to help guide decisions on technical strategy, architecture, tools, and utilities.
You will architect, build and maintain features for backend applications and implement them on behalf of both content producers and developers around the globe who use these tools each and every day. You’ll be expected to deliver quickly and iteratively in an agile environment while building a world class platform.
You’ll make a great fit for our team if you like to do these things:
- Collaborate with Product Managers and fellow engineers to solve technical issues and build robust content management and distribution tools
- Design data models and build scalable backend services that interact with frontend clients and applications
- Research and experiment with the latest and greatest technologies to identify, evangelize, and apply them to current and future projects
- Help with full-stack development when needed
- 4+ years of experience in the field of software engineering
- Experience with modern, higher-level languages (Java, Ruby, Python)
- Strong experience with databases (MongoDB, MySQL, DynamoDB)
- Experience with modern backend web frameworks and libraries (Spring, Rails, Flask)
- Understanding of web architecture including HTTP, SSL/TLS, caching proxies, etc.
- Understanding of how to write and maintain a resourceful API using concepts such as REST or GraphQL
- Strong knowledge of common software engineering practices such as version control with Git, unit testing, and continuous integration/delivery
- Experience with developing for public clouds like Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with Unix-like systems; e.g. init scripts, package creation, performance troubleshooting, the Unix process model, etc. Self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar
- Software development experience building CMS or digital asset management systems
- Proven experience developing, monitoring, and maintaining high volume, highly available distributed systems
- Experience with building applications for a containerized production environment. Kubernetes experience is helpful.
- Hands-on experience performing DevOps duties and developing infrastructure as code (Jenkins, TeamCity, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform)
- Experience documenting and diagramming technical information
- Natural leader with the ability to organize, energize, and influence others
Required EducationBachelors in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.