Show Programmer – Technical Artist / Rigging (PH)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 547152BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Nov. 12, 2018
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Show Programmers facilitate development of animation for Audio-Animatronics® figures, animated props, or ride systems by programming intricately controlled themed attraction sequences, and/or integrating show control systems with rides, Audio-Animatronics® figures, and other show elements such as special effects, audio/video, show lighting, etc. These highly technical positions require strong creative intuition and the ability to collaborate closely with Creative, Engineering, Manufacturing, Media Production, and Theme Park Maintenance teams.
- Developing digital Audio-Animatronics® animation rigs, and configuring Audio-Animatronics® figures and Show Action Equipment for safe operation.
- Assist in creating, debugging, and organizing Audio-Animatronics® figures’ digital assets (character sheets, animation data, rigs, ride paths, shots, and/or models).
- Integrating Show Control systems with rides, Audio-Animatronics® figures, and other show elements such as special effects, audio/video, projection, show lighting, etc.
- Pipeline and animation process support and asset integration.
- Figure Programming process development support and ideation.
- Partner with Engineering and Creative to configure and program Audio-Animatronics® figures and Show Action Equipment to meet safety requirements and Creative intent.
- Document and archive attraction data created by the Show Programming department.
- Tool development and maintenance.
- Familiar with maintaining and creating rigs for CG character animation.
- Have basic knowledge of mechanical systems, control systems, and/or robotics.
- Able to provide technical support for computer graphic animation applications.
- Able to communicate (verbally and in writing) clearly and concisely, regularly keeping diverse audiences informed of status, risks, and issues.
- Strong software knowledge/familiarity among (or combination): Maya, MotionBuilder, Z-Brush, Adobe, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Solid Works, Tait Navigator, Shotgun.
- Scripting knowledge/Experience: Python, Mel, C, C++.
Visual examples of images exemplifying work in this area are requested for review. Additionally, please include a resume and reel breakdown with your online profile
Preferred EducationTwo year Electronics Degree or, BA or BFA in traditional Animation, Computer Animation or, BS in automation control systems programming, or equivalents.
Demonstrate multiple years of on-the-job experience and training in real-world industrial automation, or animation roles, as indicated above.
Additional Information:©Disney is an equal opportunity employer. Drawing Creativity from Diversity.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.