Software Developer Lead - FirmwareApply NowApply Later Job ID 3004938720220925 Location Glendale, California, United States / Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jan. 23, 2023
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research arm of The Walt Disney Company’s Parks and Resorts business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, the talented corps of Imagineers are responsible for the creation of Disney resorts, theme parks and attractions, hotels, water parks, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, cruise ships and new media technology projects.
The WDI Technology Studio is looking for dedicated software developers to create and deploy the next generation of show technologies that will drive our guest experiences in upcoming attractions and venues.
- Partner with project teams to define technical requirements necessary to achieve project goals.
- Software estimation, scheduling, planning, design, implementation, and closeout activities for assigned project scope. Must work closely with other technical divisions of work to ensure constructed systems (inclusive of both hardware and software) operate cooperatively and reliably over the expected usable life of the project.
- Must balance evolving technical requirements with fixed budgets and schedules, and communicate risks and options to both Studio and Project leadership in a timely fashion.
- Partner with both Studio and Project leadership to implement project goals while employing best software development practices and adhering to relevant company and industry standards.
- Develop (and lead/oversee development teams) and/or maintain multiple complex whole projects or entire pieces of software both guest facing and internal WDI facing. This includes architecture, design, and implementation.
- Work with and lead other software developers and software project leads to provide incremental and overall updates to status and condition of software product progress.
- Lead code review initiatives and help define department wide standards and processes
- Mentor peer and junior developers and provide leadership for implementing best practices and standards for development
- Knowledge and experience with modern software development practices, including version control and workflow management tools including JIRA, GitHub, GitLab, Jenkins, etc.
- Proven technical writing, documentation, and communication skills.
- Willing to travel on behalf of company to project destinations for the purposes of business trips and installs (between overnight and 3 months stay).
- Expertise in C, C++, Rust, C# or Python.
- Experience with Firmware Development, EtherCAT/CAN and Firmware API Development
- Experience with electric motion control systems (e.g., brushless DC motor control, servo feedback control systems, etc.)
- Familiarity and/or experience with: MS Visual Studio, RSLogix, Matlab, Robot OS (ROS), AutoDesk Maya, Motion Builder, AutoCAD
- Proven track record learning new programming languages and working within complicated systems.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent experience. Advanced degrees preferred.
Benefits and Perks
The hiring range for this position in California is $190,000 to $198,000 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.