Software Engineer II - Android
Bristol, CT - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 765116BR Location Glendale, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Aug. 31, 2020
Job Summary:Working at Disney for the mobile team is unlike anything else. We’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with entertainment, sports, news, politics, comics, and games. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary. We develop new features from start to finish that millions of fans interact with on a daily basis. We invest in you to be your best. Feel the excitement of showing off your work to friends and family on some of the most heavily used apps in the marketplace
This is a hands-on engineering position developing mobile and OTT applications for the Android Operating system in Java/Kotlin. In this role, you will work with a cross-functional team of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Web Developers, and Content Creators to conceptualize and develop world-class Disney apps. Based on your experience, you will apply technical expertise to manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables and will be responsible to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions. You will develop reusable solutions that are shared across all DTCI apps.
The DTCI Mobile Engineering team develops some of the most downloaded and successful Android apps in the marketplace, including the ESPN app, the ESPN Fantasy app, The Marvel Unlimited App, ABC News App, ABC Entertainment App, and the National Geographic app.
- Coding, PR Reviews, Writing Tests
- Collaborating with QA and Automation Team
- Interacting with the Product Development team to review requirements and discuss feature development
- Up to 2+ years hands-on professional development experience with Android on all OS versions
- Experience working a significant consumer app that is currently available in marketplace
- Strong understanding of OO design patterns and concepts
- A sound understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
- Solid understanding of Android app development life cycle including Google Play and Amazon App Store compliance policies and submissions requirements
- Ability to collaborate in a small, productive development team as well as ability to work independently
- Experience with unit test frameworks and continuous integration systems
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Write efficient, reliable, and maintainable code whether implementing architectural improvements, user-facing features, or fixing defects
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues, problems, and errors encountered across our various platforms
- Analyze and optimize application code for efficiency, reliability and performance
- Understand product architecture, assisting the Software Architects as necessary
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Work with moderate technical supervision and supplemental engineering support
- Embrace a highly collaborative team that rewards quality code and effective communication
- BS, BA, or advanced degree in computer science, engineering or its equivalent.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.