Software Engineer II – Front End Engineer
Glendale, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 862613BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Sep. 24, 2021
Job Summary:We have created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world. The foundation of this creativity starts with The Walt Disney Company where we produce, acquire, and distribute live-action and animated motion pictures, video experiences, music, and live performances. Our brands include Marvel, LucasFilm, Pixar, Disney Animation, Disney Nature and Hollywood Records. No other Media & Entertainment company can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the DMED Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for a self-starting software professional who is dedicated to shaping the future of movie distribution. We’re a casual shop that values passion, community involvement and exceptional software. If this is you, we want you to join our team.
You will be part of the team creating the next-generation internal systems for movie distribution. You should be comfortable being part of a cross-functional team and working with a diverse group of business stakeholders and technologists. We expect you to have a deep understanding of Front End Technologies, to be passionate about technology and the business, to keep up with the latest trends, and to have ownership in your project deliverables. As part of DMED Technology, you will conceive, deliver, enhance, and influence products across the entire distribution value chain including sales, marketing, planning, operations, and finance. You will work in service of an overall company initiative to reimagine the DMED business as an integrated, automated, efficient and effective machine that can scale and flex in line with rapid, technology-driven business dynamics.
- Communicate ideas and solutions effectively to fellow Technology cast members
- Champion Agile principles and methods for code development
- Adhere to Agile development methodology best practice
- Facilitate Agile rapid and meaningful releases
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
Basic Qualifications:Your passion for good software is visible to your team members, stakeholders and in every product you and the team delivers. You take business automation seriously, and that will help you make decisions that drive value every day. You are:
- A problem solver. You take deep pride in your work and view each new problem as an opportunity for success; you approach challenges creatively, but methodically, and are biased toward delivering requirements fit quickly and within budget constraints.
- Inquisitive. You are curious and ask questions often. You’re hungry to learn new things and understand complex problems. You have a desire to learn how things are done and that drives you to look for ways to improve and streamline existing processes.
- Comfortable with ambiguity. You face change with a cool head and persevere even if you don’t have all the details; you’re comfortable moving between projects and facing the uncertain because risk and change motivates you to evolve and innovate.
- Technically astute. You rapidly learn new skills, grasping complicated technical information that often leaves others lost whether it’s product, industry, or hard tech knowledge; you absorb it quickly and are ready for more.
- Goal oriented. You are focused on your goals and drive to get to the desired outcome; you connect business and technology strategies to the software you deliver and can easily articulate the value created.
Your Qualifications, Experience and Education:
- 2-3+ years of Front End development experience, building business applications (using React AngularJS)
- 2-3+ years of experience using Agile SCRUM methodology
- Very passionate about coding (If you have a Github profile, that’s awesome! Would love to check it out! Otherwise we will ask you to code before or during the interview).
- Very passionate about OO design and aware of the different layers that exist in a system (we will ask you to design a system during the interview).
- Capable of leveraging basic Data structures and algorithms to solve problems (i.e. Knows basic CS fundamentals, nothing crazy, just enough to make good decisions).
- A competence in:
- CSS (LESS/SASS/Stylus)
- Bootstrap or Material UI
- Able to demonstrate working knowledge in the following things (that one usually uses when creating large scale apps):
- Responsive design and SPA development
- Security and performance of web applications
- Cross browser development
- Front end MVC frameworks such as React or AngularJS
- Docker, Kubernetes, rancher
- CI/CD using make, GitLab, Jenkins, Hudson, etc.
- Amazon services such as S3, EKS, SES, or RDS
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal skills and ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong partnering skills and ability to work within a collaborative team environment
- A sense of ownership and responsibility for delivery
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Must be able to work independently, support several projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
- Knowledge and experience with the Entertainment Distribution Value Chain preferred
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.