Software Engineer IIApply NowApply Later Job ID 931537BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Mar. 06, 2022
DMED Technology creates products, platforms, and innovations for the DMED Segment and the Walt Disney Company by driving the strategic development and use of technology, building scalable systems and products to empower our businesses and engage consumers. With global scale, local presence, and deep technological excellence, DMED Technology helps DMED and The Walt Disney Company optimize technology, platforms, and resources, bring creative ideas to life and create industry-shaping approaches.
As part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s (DMED) technology team, you’ll be joining a group of passionate, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We are looking for high-performing and motivated individuals who challenge the status quo and drive software innovation!
Our team is looking for an experienced software engineer to be part of one of our distribution platform teams, which are responsible for building and operating the services that power experiences across many of Disney’s most recognized brands, including ABC, ABC News, Marvel and National Geographic. This role will specifically be focused on building great search experiences to enable discovery of content on products owned by the above brands. Principal duties will include managing and tuning enterprise-grade Elasticsearch deployment topology, providing production support, enabling high availability, establishing and maturing Elasticsearch monitoring capabilities and raising awareness to advanced Elasticsearch capabilities.
If you have a passion for technology and delivering exciting major projects, this may be the role for you!
Responsibilities:You will help architect, build and maintain features for the multi-tenant search platform which is a suite of software services responsible for ingesting content from different content systems, tokenizing/analyzing and making the content searchable using modern API technology. You’ll be expected to be 100% hands-on development and deliver quickly and iteratively in an agile environment as we build a world class platform supporting some of Disney’s premier brands.
You’ll make a great fit for our team if you like to do these things:
- Collaborate with product managers and fellow engineers in the design and implementation of systems delivering high throughput experiences
- Design data models and build scalable backend services that interact with frontend clients and applications
- Contribute to cross-team architecture discussions
- Efficiently operate mission-critical cloud-based services, with an emphasis in reliability, security, and performance
- Analyze and resolve complex engineering problems involving high trafficked web and mobile application services and APIs
- Interface with a variety of stakeholders to define requirements and project timelines
- Work with the team to iteratively improve development practices and processes
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant industry experience
- Excellent programming skills and strong knowledge of the Java platform and Java web applications and frameworks (Spring/Tomcat/etc)
- Understanding of web architecture including HTTP, caching and API delivery paradigms (REST, GraphQL)
- Exposure to full software development lifecycle and common best practices like unit testing, collaborative version control flows, and continuous integration
- Demonstrated ability to work on a diverse scope of software and database projects requiring detailed analysis and creative/practical problem solving
- Strong analytical skills and capabilities for resolving a wide range of issues in innovative ways
- Self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar
- Proven experience developing, monitoring, and maintaining high-volume and highly-available distributed systems
- Understanding of relational and NoSQL persistence stores and the ability to determine which is the right tool for the right job
- Experience with developing for public clouds like Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Hands-on experience performing DevOps duties and developing infrastructure as code (Jenkins, TeamCity, AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, Kubernetes)
- Natural leader with the ability to organize, energize, and influence others
- Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.