Software Engineer IIApply NowApply Later Job ID 7122638320220515 Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 05, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will use your deep coding, DevOps, and data skills to write and test code that delivers new features for our application portfolio. You will be an important part of a motivated team where we’ll be looking for you to collaborate with the team to drive application architecture, code quality, and make sure we are building the right things for our users. We want someone that has grown up through the web software development ranks - possessing 7 or more years’ experience in designing and architecting highly scalable, secure, performant, and usable web applications using Java/Java EE. The ideal candidate would possess deep skills in both server and client-side technology (React, Node.js, RESTful Web Services), while having worked with orchestration and containerization platforms (Docker and Kubernetes), coupled with hands on persistence and data streaming technology experience (MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Kafka).
While The Walt Disney Company is a large company, ideally, we’d like if you have some previous experience in a U.S. startup environment and be comfortable performing multiple roles. We strive to get things done quickly, with high quality, and we are committed to the agile methodology. Our work is guided by lean principles (looking at value and looking for waste; not doing anything ‘for the sake of doing it’). We’re looking for a passionate, impactful, technical leader who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A collaborative technologist who seeks to bring the best out in themselves and those around them. Someone who can provide a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Provide technical guidance and evangelize best practices.
- Maintain a deep understanding of our core systems and how they interact with upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Contribute and review code, set standards, and work with engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met
- Responsible for fundamental platform performance, scalability, and resiliency
- Partner with stakeholders to refine requirements, and propose solutions to problems that span multiple teams
- Contribute to cross-functional troubleshooting of complex issues as needed
- Minimum 3 years of programming experience
- Proven expertise with architecture and delivery of high volume, cached, fault tolerant, multi-threaded scalable systems
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming and software development in any of the JVM based languages (Java, Scala, Kotlin, Groovy, Salesforce Apex)
- Demonstrated ability integrate with external systems using a variety of patterns (REST, SOAP, CDC, etc)
- A documented history of successfully driving feature development to completion
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies. Can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- Enjoy working within a team setting of engineers of varying experience
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Experience working with Operations or application support
- Experience working with high volume web applications and services
- Experience designing both logical and physical data model
- Knowledge of AWS Cloud Technologies, ECS, EKS, SQS, API Gateway, S3
- Knowledge of Salesforce Platform.
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
Additional desired qualifications
- Previous work experience in media distribution
- Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
- Knowledge of performance testing and application profiling
- Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.