Software Engineer-InnovationApply NowApply Later Job ID 772300BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Feb. 11, 2021
The Publishing Innovation team presently has a strong strategic focus on the evolution of traditional storytelling content and platforms into new, digital forms. You will contribute to developing and building new platforms for eBooks, magazine, and comics experiences, new forms of audio-based storytelling, and platforms and content for digital learning.
Our work in the past has included a number of cutting-edge voice- and AI-driven storytelling experiences, including Google Home’s “Read Along With Disney,” and your work on the team will contribute to a constant pushing of these sorts of “format boundaries” into the digital age.
As a Software Engineer on the Publishing Innovation Team you will function as a “creative technologist,” working with cutting-edge technologies to champion innovation throughout the business segment, on everything from external next-generation guest experiences to high-efficiency internal pipelines and tools. The ideal candidate is not just a world-class engineer, but also a passionate follower of new technology and innovation, and someone who cultivates an ability to map how new advancements can be integrated into existing lines of business. You’re an enthusiastic prototyper, insatiably curious, technically proficient, and highly collaborative.
Your day-to-day will consist of new product development centered in Disney Publishing but extending outward into all segments of Publishing, Consumer Products, Parks, and
Imagineering. In addition to larger-scale medium- and long-term projects, you will also have the opportunity for ongoing development of early-stage product & experience prototypes in support of our innovation pipeline.
Projects on this team flow through an innovation pipeline that begins with blue sky ideation and then flows through early prototyping, validation, refinement, and finally either handoff or production-level development as fits the project. Experience with agile development is a strong plus, as you will be part of a cross-functional scrum team operating in two-week sprints. You will also present your work and projects to teams throughout the organization and for high-level executive demos and reviews.
A passion for tech-enabled entertainment, interactive experiences, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, or connected devices is a strong plus.
- You will build engineering prototypes in support of innovation concepts and technical proof of concepts.
- You will participate in ongoing brainstorms for new innovation ideas and
- You will write enterprise-quality, full-stack software in a variety of Languages and
- You will pitch new technology, experiences, or products to stakeholders throughout TWDC
- You will partner on innovation projects with designers and artists
- You will harden and hand off prototypes into functional product services as required for new product deployment, including service as technical point of contact with partners.
- A broad understanding, comfort, and enthusiasm for technology and the ability to quickly and proactively learn new technologies, techniques, and tools
- A demonstrated track record of the creative application of cutting-edge technology to delight, entertain, and educate; in the form of a portfolio of projects
- Prior experience creating technology-driven entertainment/interactive experiences with broad appeal for an audience
- Professional software development experience using Python, Java, C# or similar OOP
- Experience developing on iOS and/or Android
- Agile software dev (preferably scrum)
- Strong preference for experience in industries which are content/story based
- (Publishing, gaming, film/tv, video content, education)
- Demonstrated proficiency with software prototyping tools and game engines (e.g. Unity, Unreal, AR/VR platforms)
- Experience with “no code” UX mockup tools (e.g. Axure, Figma, Sketch, etc)
- Experience with Machine Learning & Data Science algorithms, tools and pipelines
- Experience developing on Google App Engine or AWS
- Familiarity with art and animation pipelines
- Experience with user research, usability testing, and/or playtesting
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or comparable industry experience in a field related to computer science or creative technology (e.g. Computer Science,
Computer Engineering, Media Arts, Experience Design, Entertainment
Preferred EducationAdditional engineering degree, minor, or coursework preferred (e.g.
Computer Science Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, Mechanical
Engineering, Electrical Engineering)
Additional Information:Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Publishing Worldwide, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Publishing Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.