Sr Database Reliability EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 978656BR Location Glendale, California, United States / Burbank, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jun. 01, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Enterprise Technology mission is to deliver technology solutions that align to business strategies while enabling enterprise efficiency and promoting cross-company collaborative innovation. The Enterprise Technology organization drives competitive advantage by enhancing our consumer experiences, enabling business growth, and advancing operational excellence.
As a key member of the Database Systems Engineering team you will help build, support and drive the management of database technologies as well as leading automation and instrumentation efforts for our platforms and services utilizing DevOps/ Reliability Engineering philosophies. The Sr. DBRE will help create, architect and deliver new technologies and database platforms by using your in depth DevOps and database management skills. This will include consultation, designing, building, and supporting development pipelines, automating infrastructure as code and, creating telemetry for monitoring, engineering high reliability and reinforcing best practices to secure our company and guest data.
A passion for emerging cloud technologies as well as expertise with data services and platform technologies, applications, standards, and tools is required. You’ll be expected to collaborate closely with The Walt Disney Company (TWDC), ESPN, ABC Networks, DMED, DPEP and other key Disney partners, as well as leverage vendors and the open source community for products and services. Your success will be measured on your ability to rapidly develop, deploy and document a keen understanding of Disney’s stakeholders needs while working closely with interfacing architecture and development teams building world-class solutions.
- DBREs are a blend of database engineering and administration professionals and software developers that apply sound engineering principles, operational discipline and mature software development and automation, specializing in databases.
- Responsible for level 2 systems management and exercises application-level control over initiatives
- The ideal candidate will have expertise in multiple Pubic Cloud providers like AWS, Google Cloud Services, Azure and/or Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- Expertise in system management tools (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
- Excellent technical expertise in relevant state of the art database technologies, stores, systems, and design
- Carries out assignments with little coaching or guidance from others. Develops, enhances and adheres to engineering and administration standards. Builds relationships with application developments teams and leads.
- Upholds and maintains strong documentation so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation.
- Database administration experience with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, PostgreSQL, MySQL, RDS and/or Redshift.
- Non-relational database systems like Dynamo, MongoDB, Cassandra, Elastic Search, CosmoDB are a plus
- Data warehouse, data lake, reporting solutions knowledge like EMR, Databrick, Boomi, Tableau, Snowflake are a plus.
- 5-7 years of related work experience
- 5 or more years of experience with relational database systems like DB2, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, RDS, Aurora on AWS and MySQL on Linux
- Expertise in one or more programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Ruby, Node, Java, others alike)
- Strong Networking skills and protocols (e.g. HTTP, TLS, SSH, DNS)
- Experience with Source Control Management systems (e.g. Git)
- Expertise in public and private cloud hosting services (AWS, Azure)
- Expertise with configuration management (e.g. Terraform, Chef)
- Experience with Containers (e.g. Docker) and Container Orchestration technologies (Kubernetes, Mesos, DockerEE)
- Effectively communicates technical actions and expectations to the appropriate audience Demonstrated experience with Disaster Recovery planning and implementation
- Experience with troubleshooting systems issues and effectively diagnosing problems
- Expertise with Log management tools (Splunk) with the ability to load and query
- Implemented a HA DB platform.
- Knowledge on DB security implementation using tools such as Imperva, Prisma.
- Able to work on call rotation and in times of critical outages, focused on return to business resolution.
- 7-9 years of related work experience
- Excellent systems documentation and system diagraming skills
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge with key value, column oriented, and document store non-relational database systems such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Couchbase, Dynamo, Marklogic
- Consistently delivers customer service excellence by knowing customer’s business needs, identifying appropriate technical solutions, and meeting/exceeding service expectations
- Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or related field
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.