Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Game Designer, Creative DevelopmentApply Now Apply Later Job ID 701038BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Sep. 17, 2019
- Work closely within a cross-functional team and external game development partners to build high-quality, engaging, and authentic experiences across multiple platforms.
- Review and provide editorial feedback on game design documents, proposals, prototypes, playable builds, game systems, live service plans, and other assets with the goal of supporting creative development and delivering outstanding gameplay experiences.
- Work within existing and upcoming Disney and Pixar IP guidelines to create new, surprising, and delightful experiences in an authentic way.
- Act as a creative negotiator, representing and advocating on behalf of our development teams, franchise partners, and key stakeholders to deliver against our collective product goals.
- Identify areas of risk affecting product quality and player experience; provide actionable solutions to mitigate risk.
- Review and collaborate with development teams on live service content programs with actionable recommendations that affect core KPIs.
- Provide detailed editorial and gameplay feedback on character voice, brand authenticity, narrative and overall quality for gameplay documentation submitted by development partners.
- Lead creative discussions with external creative stakeholders to lock down key gameplay and story details.
- Help create and maintain creative alignment documentation to establish best practices and partner tools and document key creative details in each phase of development.
- Mentor and provide guidance to other design team members and foster internal creative culture.
- Construct, edit, and present game design and story pitch materials for communication within the Disney Games & Interactive Team, Disney and Pixar film teams, external partners, and vendors.
- Acquire deep understanding of ‘new’ brands being developed by Disney; evaluate their gameplay potential for multiple genres, platforms, and target demographics; provide guidelines outlining gameable elements to our partners.
- Lead and participate in brainstorms with creative groups from across the greater Disney Imagineering group to share ideas, best practices, and creative methods.
- Balance a diverse workload of various projects in different states of development.
- Own creative team initiatives and drive internal creative projects, or potentially representing the design team for internal and external events.
- 5+ years of experience specifically in game design for mobile/console/PC online.
- Broad design skillset from interactive narrative to system design skills.
- Be a self-starter with experience managing your own schedule and priorities.
- Background in games with live service focus and interest in improving experience through KPI analysis.
- Demonstrate strong familiarity with Disney brands.
- Enjoy collaborating cross-functionally and prioritizes effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Highly-motivated with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Strong communication and presentation skills; a Keynote or PowerPoint wizard.
- Must be able to travel, approximately 5-10% and hold a valid passport.
- Experience successfully collaborating and providing creative feedback to external teams, vendors, or agencies.
- Experience working with global and remote teams.
- Maintain an interest in all things gaming from mobile to console and wider industry trends.
Required EducationAA/BA/BS preferred or demonstrates through portfolio an industry standard level of video game design and knowledge of the game development lifecycle, tools and techniques.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Online, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Online is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.