Sr Staff Software EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 621568BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Studios Date posted Jan. 30, 2019
Job Summary:It’s the magic of immersing yourself in a motion picture masterpiece, or a new track from your favorite band, or the spectacle of a live Broadway show. It’s hard to define and even harder to create, but that’s what we do at The Walt Disney Studios. Ours is a culture of innovation, collaboration and creativity. We raise the bar, then step over it, blazing trails through the production and distribution of world class entertainment around the globe. If you want to help tell compelling, enduring stories through movies, music or stage plays, then we want to hear from you.
Who We Are:
The Walt Disney Studios is comprised of large team of creative professionals who produce and acquire live-action and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, musical recordings and live stage plays that tell memorable, life changing stories. Few media and entertainment companies can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry.
We are looking for a self-starting engineer who wants to shape the next generation of video consumption applications on the Web. We’re a casual shop that values passion, community involvement and code that stands out. If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you.
What You Will Be Creating:
You will be working in a small team of multi-disciplined engineers on creating the next generation video consumption platforms. We expect you to be up to date on the happenings in the JVM-based server community, passionate about what you do and connected to the open source community. You will participate in overall system design, come up with web-tailored solutions that emphasize re-use and good design patterns.
- Define, architect and build high-quality software solutions
- Collaborate with other software engineers and cross-functional teams
- Evangelize technologies, solutions, and best practices
- Contribute new ideas to a larger community of high-caliber professionals
- Balance resources, requirements, and complexity
- Interface with various outside entities for work on integration points
- Help more junior engineers grow and mentor them technically
- Work with Business stakeholders on figuring out the best technical solutions for business problems
- Very passionate about coding (If you have a Github profile, that’s awesome! Would love to check it out! Otherwise we will ask you to code before or during the interview).
- Very passionate about OO design and aware of the different layers that exist in a system (we will ask you to design a system during the interview).
- Capable of leveraging basic Data structures and algorithms to solve problems (i.e. Knows basic CS fundamentals, nothing crazy, just enough to make good decisions).
- Interested in technologies such as Haskell, Scala, etc.
- A master of:
- Spring (or another DI platform)
- Developing REST APIs
- Unit tests
- Integration & Load testing for APIs
- Maven or Gradle
- ORM (e.g JPA, Hibernate)
- Using Docker for deployment
- GraphQL knowledge
- Worked with DynamoDB or RDS
- Familiar with Kafka
- Familiar with Apache Tinkerpop
- Familiar with Kubernetes
- BS in Computer Science or related field with 10+ years of experience
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.