Technical ArtistApply Now Apply Later Job ID 539913BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media Date posted Mar. 30, 2018
Job Summary:The Tech Artist will be responsible for building animation rigs, tools, scripts and shaders, maintain pipelines and provided technical support for artists on our Augmented Reality experiences. This unique position requires a motivated, talented, and creative individual to collaborate with multiple disciplines to create the next set of great experiences for Disney’s AR platform.
To be successful this role, the candidate must have a high level of comfort working equally within the realm of art and programming. They must work closely with the art team to establish and maintain the visual style on device, while insuring efficient creation and integration of game assets within the platform. This person will also help develop content creation, performance guidelines through tools, documentation and communication. Maintain, manage, build and support the team’s 3D tools. Assist with the integration of UI/UX content and tools to assist artists and designers. This person will also support artist and communicate their technical needs to the larger team.
As a Tech Artist, the candidate will be involved in all aspects of internal and external development including: product brainstorms, pre-production prototyping, and product releases. This candidate will partner with the Art Director/Lead to define the most appropriate tools, methods and approaches for the project. This person will also serve as a bridge between art, engineering, and design. They will work directly with Engineers in C# to manage 3D assets and materials and generate scripts in Unity.
- 30% - Develop the appropriate technical tools, shaders and pipelines to be leveraged by artists and animators
- 20% - Build a wide variety of high-quality rigs in Maya for the Unity engine (bipedal, quadrupedal, N-pedal and other creatures)
- 20% - Collaborate with engineers to build features and solve creative technical problems
- 10% Assist animators and artists with troubleshooting. Issues may include animation, rigs, shaders and FX
- 5% - Participate in visual critiques and brainstorms
- At least 3-5 years of game development experience
- Multi-disciplined person with a deep understanding of art workflows and content development pipelines
- Strong knowledge of particle systems, visual effects, lighting and dynamics
- Possesses and acute understanding of art and visual design aesthetics and techniques for 2D, 3D, animation, layout, color theory, lighting, and UI design
- High proficiency of technical problem solving
- Experience with tool integration into new or existing pipelines
- Outstanding creativity and drive; excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Gen 4 material/shader development using HLSL and PBR techniques
- Familiar with Disney franchises such as: Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar
- Expert knowledge of Maya
- Mature understanding of C#
- Extensive experience with Unity
- Familiarity with GIT a plus
- Passion for research and development is desirable
- Experience working on AR/VR products is a plus
- Familiarity with Substance Painter/Designer is a major plus
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Sense of humor and a positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Ability to take feedback and direction
- Self-starter, reliable, and passionate about their work
- Eye for detail with a clear understanding of the big picture
- Team player who understands the value of regular and effective communication
Required EducationBA/BS degree in related field
About Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media:
Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media (DCPI) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) that brings our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games. DCPI comprises four main lines of business: Global Licensing, Disney Retail, Publishing and Digital Media, and Games, Apps, and Labs. The segment is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Online, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media.
Disney Online is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.