VP-Publishing SalesApply NowApply Later Job ID 770108BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Disney Publishing Worldwide Date posted Dec. 02, 2020
It is critical that the VP, Publishing Sales work with key internal and external stakeholders to unlock growth potential for the business.
Responsibilities:Achieve Net Sales and Contribution targets across all Disney Imprints inclusive of Disney Press, Marvel Press, LucasFilm Press, Hyperion, National Geographic, and new imprints to be developed
- Build a strategy for sales across current and future distribution channels in order to meet revenue and profit goals
- Lead direct and indirect reports to achieve sales and profitability goals
- Oversee Trade, Custom, Bulk and eBook Sales
- Custom sales – managing custom sales for North America (which also generates global revenue) including identifying custom projects, working with editorial to create the products and production to create them
- E-book sales – working with editorial, marketing and managing the accounts, in particular Amazon and Apple e-book accounts
- Manage the sales relationship with Hachette which includes the shipping and returns to all customers in North America
- Manage all retail promotions so that they generate OI within finance guidelines
- Manage terms of sales in conjunction with legal and VP, Commercialization, DPW
- Utilize and build new analytics tools in order to maximize revenue and profitability
- Providing sales input to the acquisitions process, including signing off on sales targets for the NPV acquisitions process; as well as any other key meetings where sales input is needed – cover concept, pre-launch, etc.
- Accountable for delivery of all sales, promotion and margin targets to achieve budget
- Driving the day to day business as part of the DPW Senior Leadership Team – with Editorial, Marketing, Publicity, Production, Operations, etc.
- Representing the sales organization for authors/agents and bring in senior IR leadership when needed (in conjunction with Marketing & PR)
- The financial processes – weekly reviews, call to print meetings, forecasts, budgets (in conjunction with VP, Commercialization and with the Finance group as needed)
- Providing the dedicated sales reps publishing expertise and guidance while coordinating their account level activity
- Communicating, discussing and agreeing account, franchise and rep level targets and goals
- Assist with the Joint Business Planning, growth strategies and top to top meetings against the key accounts – goal is to generate out of aisle placement in addition to in aisle
- Maximizing the operating income to the division by optimally dividing format and franchise by business model – in conjunction with Licensing and Franchise leads
- Working with content partners to increase visibility to the DPW title list
- The sales teams get the inventory and assets they need to meet aggressive budget goals
- DPW is considered for broader opportunities should they arise across Disney
- Perform general supervisory functions such as hiring, on boarding, coaching, performance management, development and operating expense control
- Drive and lead team development
- Build and example a culture that is team oriented and positive
- Collaborates with functional heads on team member’s development, performance and position specific succession plans
Basic Qualifications:• 15+ years sales experience in Publishing industry
• Strong sales skills: relationship building, presentations, influencing skills
• Strong strategic, analytical and planning skills
• Resilience, tenacity & diplomacy
• Ability to lead and motivate teams and provide strategic direction
• Keeps abreast with Industry trends
• Excellent organizational savvy and communication skills
• Ability to engage with senior level executives
• Comfortable using & working through a matrix structure to deliver the end solution
• Travel required
Required EducationBA/BS degree preferred or equivalent work experience; MBA desirable
About Disney Publishing Worldwide:
Disney Publishing Worldwide helps bring our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games.The business is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Books, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Publishing Worldwide.
Buena Vista Books, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.