WDI R&D Advanced Creative Technology Intern, Summer 2020, Glendale
Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 734768BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted 20/12/2019
Job Summary:An intern working with Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development project teams on concept development, visualization, hardware/software prototyping, and communication of new experience concepts and technologies for Disney theme parks, resorts, and experiential entertainment worldwide.
Successful candidates will possess a unique combination of creative and technical expertise, demonstrated by a proven track record working across creative and engineering disciplines to design, prototype, and deliver technology-driven entertainment experiences. They must be able to translate ideas into a visual medium for discussion and iteration, and rapidly prototype ideas through interactive hardware and software mockups. An excellent verbal, written, and visual communicator, this individual can clearly and persuasively present complex concepts to drive action and inspire others.
- Support development of new WDI R&D experience and technology concepts through requirements gathering, group brainstorms, and technical/competitive research
- Keep up-to-date on the evolving social, cultural, technology, and design landscape and apply knowledge of new trends and innovation in the marketplace
- Help build and support small and large-scale interactive prototypes, mockups, and playtests using a variety of industry-standard and Disney-proprietary software and hardware tools
- Assist with developing and reviewing system requirements; assisting in developing software specifications, and system architectures; designing software at a module level, producing data flow diagrams, and/or other design documentation; and developing code and software test plans
- Participate in software and system testing efforts, producing software documentation at a level that will allow other software engineers to maintain the system, producing user documentation to describe system operation, and releasing software
- Generate project documentation in the form of written copy, technical drawings, photography, and video
- Collaborate across diverse cross-functional teams to drive project success against business objectives, always communicating clearly and with a positive attitude
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role...
- A broad understanding, comfort, and enthusiasm for technology and the ability to quickly and proactively learn new technologies, techniques, and tools
- Prior experience creating technology-driven entertainment experiences for an audience
- Demonstrated experience with software prototyping tools (e.g. Max/MSP, Touch Designer, Processing, Sketch)
- Experience writing code and/or scripting (e.g. Python, embedded C/C++, Arduino, HTML, Processing)
- Comfortable with networking tech (UDP/TCP messaging) and wireless communication (Zigbee, LoRa, etc)
- Ability to learn new APIs and SDKs quickly
- Ability to quickly produce high-quality deliverables on tight timelines while maintaining keen attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to self-manage multiple projects and priorities amidst a dynamic and constantly changing innovation environment
- Portfolio that demonstrates strong design skills and sensibilities, with a well-developed sense of aesthetics (e.g. illustrations, presentations, graphic designs, 3D models, UI/UX mockups, production drawings)
- Experience in the fabrication physical props, signage, or set work (e.g. carpentry, 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC machinery)
- Experience in video/film, sound/music, and/or live theatrical production including lighting control technology like DMX
- At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Imagineering, which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.