Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
WDI R&D Project Management Internship - Glendale, CA - Summer 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 627159BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jan. 11, 2019
Job Summary:“We Change Lives.” Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Walt Disney Imagineering Research & Development is the department within WDI that focuses exclusively on the creative application of new technology. At R&D, we use cutting edge technology to tell Disney stories in new and innovative ways. R&D is unique from the rest of WDI in that we develop concepts for more than just the Disney theme parks. We work on a consulting basis with almost every division of the Walt Disney Company, including Pixar Animation Studios, Disney Consumer Products, Disney Interactive Studios, ABC, ESPN, and Corporate New Business Development.
Much of R&D’s process involves rapid iterative prototyping. After we develop an initial concept, we pool the collective talents of artists, designers, engineers, computer programmers, scientists and fabricators to build a real-world prototype. We then test, refine and re-test these prototypes until we believe an idea is ready to transfer to one of our business partners to ultimately be enjoyed by our guests.
What we’re looking for…
A WDI R&D Project Management Intern who will partner with various R&D Project Leads to deliver on the vision of next generation ideas, tools, technologies, and experiences that both inspires Imagineers to do the impossible and brings smiles to the faces of millions of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts guests each year. This role combines a strong engineering and technology background with scientific process and proven agile project management abilities to drive innovation.
- Produce scope, budget, and schedule of R&D projects to achieve the vision of the project lead
- Support vendor relationships
- Coordinate internal and external play tests
- Support communication plan to team members and project leads
- Schedule and organize meetings/events and maintain agenda
- Engender internal and external relationships
- Help build positive relations within the team and external parties
- Contribute to the culture and community of the department
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- Experience in a highly technical field
- Waterfall and/or Agile project management experience
- Ability to translate high level scope/vision into actionable plans and to interpret executive and project lead vision to engineering
- Proficient in MS Office Apps
- Ability to interpret executive and project lead vision into engineering workplans
- Ability to build and motivate highly effective teams
- Willingness to contribute to motivating highly effective teams
- Proven ability to clearly communicate the project vision, expectations, and outcomes
- Ability to communicate clear and concise project updates to all levels within the organization
- Ability to define scope and move it forward with regular check ins
- Able to manage & prioritize multiple assignments in a chaotic/changing environment
- Proven ability to work collaboratively on diverse teams
- Demonstrate a desire to constantly improve and expand personal skills
- Positive and optimistic attitude
- Highly dependable with strong work ethic
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher or graduated within the last 6 months from in an accredited college/university, earning a BA/BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Software, or Systems Engineering, or related field
College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please upload your transcript while completing the online application
To upload your transcript:
- Log into your dashboard
- Click the second tab "Applications"
- Select "Submitted Applications"
- Click on the title of the position for which you would like to attach the transcript
- Click the "Add Files" button
- Under what do you want to add, select Transcript
- Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Transcript
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are early May/June 2019 through late August/September 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.