WDI Ride Controls Engineering Software Internship-Glendale-Summer 2020
Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 705135BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted 27/11/2019
Job Summary:Ride Control Engineers build the most advanced systems that create magical and immersive attractions around the world that are as exciting for grown adults as they are for kids. Imagine being part of a team to create the software that operates a ride control system. We work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment to develop unique control systems for Disney’s wide array of exciting rides – from an initial idea through installation and opening for Guests. Interns would join a ride engineering project team in the design, development, prototyping, testing, and simulation of the software for one or more subsystems within a new ride. At times, interns could work on prototype or development work, but most placements would be on an actual project team for an attraction somewhere in the world!
What we’re looking for…
A Ride Control Software Engineering Intern who will work within the Ride Engineering Studio, which designs and develops rides that provide memorable moving experiences to Guests worldwide. The Studio is comprised of Controls (Software and Hardware), Systems, and Mechanical departments that work together to accomplish that goal.
- Participate in software design and implementation sessions for the ride control system on one of Disney’s upcoming attractions (may include creating and verifying software that will be embedded in the ride)
- Collaborate with a ride engineering team in the design, development, prototyping, testing, and simulation of the software for one or more subsystems within a new ride
- Coordinate with other disciplines, as needed, with the attraction’s ride engineering team throughout various phases of the project (may include Creative, Research and Development, and Show Systems)
- Uphold ride engineering policies and procedures
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- Ability to understand and implement basic principles of control theory
- Aptitude for, and interest in, technical writing of attraction design documents
- Familiarity with object-oriented design in C/C++
- Proficiency in C/C++ software development (experience from both coursework and formal projects a must)
- Must have minimum overall GPA score of 3.0
- Membership or leadership in professional and/or collegiate chapters of IEEE, ACM, or relevant professional organizations
- Control theory project experience (through employment, academia, or personal hobbyist projects)
- Proficiency in MATLAB or Simulink a plus
- Experience with software development on Programmable Logic Controllers
Required EducationCurrently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or must have graduated within the past 6 months from an accredited college/university, earning a degree majoring Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Mechatronics, or related field
Preferred EducationStrong background (education and work/project experience) in physics, relative to motion and dynamics, and in computer science
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.