Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
WDI Ride Mechanical Engineering Internship- Glendale, CA - Summer 2020Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 708389BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Nov. 01, 2019
At Ride Engineering, it is our responsibility to move people through our stories in magical ways that bring these experiences to life! Ride Engineers bring optimism and solutions to design challenges that seem impossible, and partner with diverse creative talent to define and build one of a kind experiences that bring fun and joy to millions of people all around the world.
What we’re looking for…
A Ride Mechanical Intern who will work within a Project Engineering team, and be responsible for a wide variety of mechanical design & development tasks on innovative ride platforms that include unique requirements for extreme duty cycles, high reliability, and inherent life safety. Responsibilities may include conceptualizing, designing, analyzing, and/or testing of system components and features. Throughout the internship, a RMEI will be exposed to subject matter experts in a variety of engineering disciplines and be comfortable in diverse environments where scope and requirements change frequently. While an intern is responsible for a variety of engineering activities, emphasis is always placed on learning.
- Creatively apply engineering principals to assist in the design of a wide variety of innovative ride platforms, components, & related equipment for unique (and fun) life safety systems.
- Work with teams to distill technical requirements from high level experience/story descriptions & artwork
- Conceive and implement elegant solutions to complex design challenges
- “Clean sheet” concept design of ride components that meet creative intent and requirements
- Implement proof of concept prototype & mock ups: design/fabricate/test
- Assist with development of scope, inspection, testing, and report documents
- Digital model and drawing development and release
- Assist with installation, field support, testing, and standards development
- Explore and evaluate new and emerging technologies for practical use
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- Relevant engineering expertise (eg. machine design, kinematics, stress/strain, power train, materials)
- Superior design sensibilities and creative problem solving
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts with non-technical audience.
- Work collaboratively within a large and diverse team environment
- Highly dependable, strong work ethic, with excellent time management skills.
- Willingness to learn new things and continually improve capabilities/skills
- Positive and optimistic influence on team, department, and community
- Comfortable working in a creative/chaotic environment
- Familiarity with design tools (eg. SolidWorks, Navisworks, AutoCAD, SketchUp, ANSYS, FEA, Matlab)
- Experience with life safety design/requirements
- Experience with prototype, development, and/or innovative products
- Hands on experience with equipment assembly, fabrication, and installation
- Proactive/self-sufficient/able to work and add value with minimal oversight
- Attention to detail // Optimism and Enthusiasm // Perseverance and grit
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or must have graduated from an accredited college/university within the past 6 months, earning a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or an equivalent degree
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2020 through August/September 2020 Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.