WDI SPFX Illusion Maker Internship – Glendale – Spring 2020
Glendale, CA - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 708637BR Location Glendale, California, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted 29/10/2019
What we’re looking for…
This intern will be a part of the very early stages the Imagineering process! These interns use their hands and tools to fabricate and assemble complex prototypical mechanical and electrical systems that support the designs created by their Design and Integration colleagues. They are often called upon to support complex mock-ups and to participate in installations for new or renovated attractions. Must be a self-starter and motivated to use your mechanical or electrical knowledge to create new and exciting effects and illusions!
- Work with designers and team leaders to supporting the design and fabrication of illusions, special effects and prototypical animated robotic figures utilized in our theme parks and attractions
- Research and provide information for technical publications
- Assist in the determination of detailed work plans and priorities
- Research standard parts, materials, and catalogue items
- Produce quick mockups and iteration
- Be involved in installation and integration as directed
- Participate in problem solving and brainstorming sessions
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- Enthusiasm for the Disney product
- Ability to manage time while working on multiple projects
- Basic carpentry knowledge
- Electrical knowledge including:
- Ability to read and interpret wiring diagrams, wiring lists and connector schedules
- Ability to wire and troubleshoot simple assemblies and systems
- Ability to conduct basic repair using diagnostic equipment and software.
- Mechanical knowledge including:
- Basic understanding of mechanism design and assemblies
- Ability to design simple parts and mechanisms
- Ability to read and interpret assembly drawings
- Basic understanding of physical mechanics
- Enthusiasm for continued learning, desire to learn new software programs and develop skill sets
Preferred Qualifications:• Experience with the following software is preferred:
- CNC Programming in G-Code
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects)
- Microsoft Suite
• Prior experience or coursework in mechanical fabrication and assembly
• Prior military or industrial experience in electrical/electronics production including wiring layout and termination
• Prior experience or coursework with fiberglass and silicone tool and part fabrication
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or must have graduated from an accredited college/university within the past 6 months, earning a degree in Mechatronics, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Product Design, Interactive Media, Theater Design, or Exhibit Design
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Professional internship at the time of application
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work location
- Must be able to provide own housing for the duration of the internship
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are January through June 2020. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.