Director, Media Systems Engineering
Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774125BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 23, 2021
Job Summary:The Director, Media Systems Engineering is responsible for the overall technical readiness of The Woodlands broadcast facility (DC3) core and all related systems, located in The Woodlands, TX. DC3 supports the acquisition and distribution of media for event and studio production for the Disney family of network’s live events and network distribution. This position is directly responsible for the technical design and implementation of systems to meet the needs of our business partners and the growing distribution business. He/she will be responsible for the technical implementation of distribution, conditioning, monitoring and routing infrastructure, among others, throughout the facility and to and from DMED’s other facilities for content ingest and network distribution. This person is expected be intimately familiar with the facility’s operation, as well as acting technical leader of the facility. He or she is required to have comprehensive knowledge of broadcast specific equipment and conventions as well as IT centric solutions and novel approaches to solve traditional broadcast related challenges.
- Responsible for the technical design and implementation of systems to meet the needs of our business partners and the growing distribution business.
- Responsible for the technical implementation of distribution, conditioning, monitoring and routing infrastructure, among others, throughout the facility and to and from DMED’s other facilities for content ingest and network distribution.
- This role is expected be intimately familiar with the facility’s operation, as well as the acting technical leader of the facility.
- Comprehensive knowledge of broadcast specific equipment and conventions, as well as, IT-centric solutions and novel approaches to solve traditional Broadcast related challenges.
- Directs the ongoing engineering design, development, implementation of improved policies and designs to ensure DMED technical standards are met and maintains accurate and reliable transport and manipulation of high-quality audio, video and data streams.
- Directly responsible for the technical performance and associated systems of the facility.
- Maintains a current and active in-depth understanding of all relevant technical systems.
- Collaborates closely with Operations management and key staff to assess the facility’s ability to provide service based on a dynamic event schedule.
- Recommends annual operating and capital budget for new equipment to meet future requirements.
- Maintains a high level of technical proficiency.
- Provides development opportunities for staff to ensure high quality facility reliability levels are achieved.
- Assists in the recruiting of technical, engineering or operations personnel.
- Hires systems integrators to execute capital projects as needed.
- Works in very close collaboration with other engineering teams throughout DMED.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a fast-paced technical broadcast environment.
- 5 years of experience managing individual contributors and supervisors that have responsibility for managing a technical production center.
- Demonstrated experience managing a complex on-air facilities, workflows and staff scheduling requirements.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of television production, OTT and network level technical requirements, standards and solutions.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a Technology related field
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.