KTRK-TV Race and Culture JournalistApply NowApply Later Job ID 860815BR Location Houston, Texas, United States Business ABC Owned TV Stations Date posted Sep. 15, 2021
The multi-skilled journalist will work directly with the newsroom management teams and decision makers to select and create content. The journalist will be part of the editorial decision-making process as it relates to story assignments, sourcing subjects featured in stories and developing community relationships to expand the diversity of voices included in our storytelling. Each journalist may be assigned specific beats with a goal of local and national distribution of the content across all OTV platforms. In addition, journalists will work closely with the ABC News Race & Culture Unit to identify areas of collaboration.
In addition, the journalists will work across the group and meet daily with the Executive Producers of Race & Culture to identify mission appropriate topics, stories and series for journalistic exploration and match with content creators throughout the organization.
- Lead and facilitate diversity & inclusion editorial discussions in your respective newsrooms.
- The ideal candidates will be responsible for offering creative and innovative ideas for better story-telling as well as have the ability to work under deadline. They will also collaborate with other stations and teams for joint projects or special features and brainstorm different story angles and ways to increase social media presence. Understanding of digital platforms and social media preferred.
- At least 5 years of journalism experience; Significant experience producing longform content
- Must have the proven ability to take a story from concept to completion, including researching, interviewing, shooting, producing, writing, editing and presenting across all platforms
- Significant reporting experience and sources in the area of Race & Culture
- Candidates must be able to effectively manage story assignments and production in addition to collaborating with the Race & Culture Executive Producers and multiskilled journalists across OTV’s 8 markets
- Insatiable curiosity - you just have to dig deeper to find the truth
- Strong editorial judgement
- Tenacity to pitch the stories you believe in
- Experience performing well under pressure
- A pro at social media and other digital tools
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
About ABC Owned TV Stations:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with KTRK Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ABC Owned TV Stations.
KTRK Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.