Manager, Systems Engineering
The Woodlands, TX - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770321BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Dec. 16, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
The Manager, Systems Engineering is a full-time position at the DTCI Woodlands Technical Facility (TWL) in Houston, Texas. The Manager will report to the Director, Broadcast Engineering in Burbank.
The Manager will be responsible for a small team of design and deployment engineers at TWL directly supporting Disney Linear Entertainment networks – from design, vendor engagement, capital review, tracking up to initial implementation. Their work is critical for on-going technical innovation in related broadcast and media workflow.
Primary responsibilities include daily interaction with DMED Media Engineering teams in TWL, Burbank and with DMED Broadcast Operations. The role requires highly focused attention to detail, meeting the approved design parameters, reporting out to executive leadership on a weekly basis. The role requires adherence to the standard and specifications of the DTCI technology portfolio.
As a manager, we require that this individual keep in touch with emerging technologies and encourage and couch their teams for an innovative DTCI Design philosophy. You will lead, inspire and hold your team accountable for precision and holding to strict timelines to progress the day-to-day demands of exacting media workflows.
- Manager of the primary on-site design and initial implementation engineering team.
- Concise reporting for both technical and executive teams on a daily and weekly basis.
- Manage work order process to ensure that teams are engaged, and priorities met.
- Daily interaction with DMED Sustainment Engineers on feature development and vendor engagement.
- Work closely with key vendors and implement proof-of-concept and performance validation based on business requirements in design phase.
- Manage communication systems to curate team’s performance metrics and curate results.
- Scheduling is typically standard business hours, Monday through Friday, but some implementation work would happen in non-standard hours on occasion.
- Ability to work some non-standard shifts including overnights and weekends as is required with implementation maintenance.
- DMED is an equal opportunity employer. A Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability inclusive workplace.
- Seven or more years of previous and relevant experience in a similar role. Proven track record of experience in a broadcast or similar Engineering role involving maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting, of an equivalent multi-network broadcast environment involving play-to-air systems in both HD legacy baseband (SDI) and H.264 TS IP, including routing, distribution and processing.
- At least 2 years of experience in managing direct reports or high stakes projects which required you to manage individuals indirectly
- Demonstrated history with video servers, storage systems, and a master control environment.
- IP Networking knowledge and understanding required to support Remote Data Center Cloud Playback systems running on virtual applications servers.
- Prior experience with multi display processor viewers using both IP and Baseband Video sources.
- Demonstrated knowledge of MPEG compression and transport stream analysis tools.
- Advanced experience with play-to-air automation systems such as ADC-100, iTX or Mediator.
- Knowledge of AES and Embedded Digital Audio processing, including Dolby 5.1 formats, loudness control, and level measurement technology.
- Knowledge and understanding of SCTE 35, 104 and 224 standards and other ancillary data within a broadcast stream.
- Demonstrable experience with IP networking and IP multicast video streaming.
- Exposure to next-generation and emerging media platforms or content.
- Bachelor’s in Engineering, Broadcast Engineering or Trade School Equivalent.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.