Senior Systems Engineer
The Woodlands, TX - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770320BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Dec. 17, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
The Senior Systems Engineer is a full-time position at the Walt Disney Company’s Woodlands Technical Facility (TWL) in Houston, Texas. The Senior Systems Engineer will report to the Manager, Design Engineering, in Burbank.
The Engineer will be responsible for the design, vendor engagement and daily deployment schedule at TWL, supporting Disney’s 24/7 linear broadcast networks and supporting workflows. Design Engineering is critical for persistent technical innovation in the linear and digital distribution of the linear networks, broadcast adjacent technologies and media workflows.
Primary responsibilities include daily interaction with Design in Burbank, DMED Broadcast Operations and Media Engineering teams at TWL. The role requires highly focused attention to detail, meeting overall needs in design, with an eye for efficiencies and adhering to the DMED Engineering tech portfolio.
- Primary lead on the design and daily/weekly implementation instruction to on-site engineering and integrator teams.
- Support the Manager, Design Engineering in consistent and accurate design packages and report outs to executive leadership.
- Create, update and curate key conceptual, design and final single-line drawings for use by the broad DTCI Media Engineering teams.
- Tightly align on technology needs of WDT Operations in alignment with the DTCI technology portfolio.
- Work closely with key vendors and implement proof-of-concept and performance validation based on business requirements in design phase.
- Scheduling is typically standard business hours, Monday through Friday, but some implementation work would occasionally occur on non-standard hours and is a requirement
- All other duties as assigned by Leadership
- Five or more years of previous and relevant experience
- Proven track record of experience in technical design or similar Engineering role involving maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting, of an equivalent multi-network broadcast environment involving play-to-air systems in both HD legacy baseband (SDI) and H.264 TS IP, including routing, distribution and processing.
- Solid knowledge of IP Networks and understanding required to support Remote Data Center Cloud Playback systems running on virtual applications servers.
- Demonstrated experience with video servers, storage systems, and a master control environment.
- Knowledge of broadcast or studio audio processing, including Dolby 5.1 formats, loudness control, and level measurement technology.
- Basic knowledge of SCTE 35, 104 and 224 standards and other ancillary data, especially how ancillary data moves through various broadcast paths.
- IP networking experience with knowledge of IP multicast video steaming technologies.
- Prior experience with multi display processor viewers using both IP and Baseband Video sources.
- Ability to understand and implement next-generation and emerging media platforms architecture.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent mix of Trade School education and previous experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.