Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 773250BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Feb. 04, 2021
Job Summary:In 2019, The Walt Disney Company acquired The Woodlands Broadcast Center, former home of the Fox Broadcast Company and home of the regional sports networks. With this acquisition, Disney’s Media Entertainment Distribution division is undergoing an unprecedented technological change, rebuilding legacy infrastructures and consolidating technology into two major broadcast facilities.
Digital Center 3, formerly The Woodlands Broadcast Center, is the new home for ABC National Networks, Disney Cable Networks, and the newly acquired National Geographic and FX Cable Networks. As part of the cable and satellite distribution portfolio of services, this facility will also support disaster recovery play-out and distribution for ESPN Cable Networks.
To support this industry changing initiative, we are requesting headcount in the DMED - Transmission Operations Department for a Supervisor - Transmission Operations.
The Woodlands transmission team supports 24X7 engineering and operational sustainment for the Disney Cable Networks, FX/NatGeo and ESPN satellite distribution to 3000 commercial cable headends in North America. With the addition of the ABC Television Network as the primary uplink site, transmission will support 200+ over the air affiliate stations and over the top operations for ABC OTTO viewers using devices, PC’s, internet technologies and apps.
- Responsible for non-exempt (Individual Contributors) Direct Reports
- Administers employee performance evaluations in collaboration with all Transmission Managers.
- Creates competency-training plans for Specialists and oversees their implementation.
- Coordinates Operations staff and workflows to ensure error free operations, optimum staff allocation and workflow efficiency during assigned shift.
- Provides oversight, operational guidance and performance related feedback to the Transmission Operations Staff.
- Assists TX Managers in the creation and administration of departmental policy and standard operating procedures.
- Contributes in the hiring process through phone screen and interview participation.
- Ensures that Transmission conforms to DMED’s technical and operating standards.
- Communicates operational issues and appropriate follow up information with all affected parties, assuring awareness for all stakeholders.
- Requires a comprehensive understanding of department functions and roles for proper coordination with the department’s managers and other staff.
- Provides research, analysis and assistance for Sr. leadership to develop essential transmission area technical modifications and upgrades.
- Administers staff assignments and performs on-the-spot reassignments as needed.
- Steps in as needed to provide operational guidance to Systems Engineering & Operations personnel in diagnosing and determining corrective action.
- Supervise the daily responsibilities of the TX operational staff, this includes but not limited to: Scheduling assessment and role assignments, follow up on network discrepancies and critical reporting, manage training an on-going learning opportunities
- Ownership of direct report relationships and oversight of 6 month and yearly performance reviews.
- Participation in the screening, interviewing and recommendations associated with the hiring process for the TX team
- Accountable for assigned projects and keeping leadership apprised of updates, challenges or successful completion.
- Support Business Continuity (DR) to best protect networks originating at The Woodlands and Bristol Transmission facilities
- Build relationships with internal and external business partners, especially the Bristol Transmission Team
- 5+ years of experience in the broadcast industry
- Extensive knowledge of the workings of an advanced Transmission or Broadcast Operation Centers
- Must exhibit a high level of leadership skills and maturity
- Basic project management skills to help drive results
- Ability to react quickly and effectively to issues that arise whether they are air affecting, scheduling, and customer related, etc.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.