Systems Engineer II
The Woodlands, TX - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 770319BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Dec. 17, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution’s mission (DMED) is to delight consumers around the world with the entertainment and sports content they want most, with more choice, personalization, and convenience than ever before.
Comprised of Disney’s International media businesses and the Company’s streaming and linear services, the DMED Engineering segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
DMED is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; HotStar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
The Project Engineer, Entertainment Systems Engineering, is a full-time position at The Walt Disney Company’s Woodlands Technical Facility (DC-3) in Houston, Texas. The Project Engineer will report to the Manager, Broadcast Engineering in The Woodlands.
The Systems Engineer II is responsible for the initial deployment and commissioning of 24/7 broadcast or broadcast adjacent equipment in direct support of the Disney Linear Entertainment networks. The Engineer will take instruction from Design Engineering and translate that work for initial implementation, commissioning and training for 24/7 engineering sustainment teams.
Primary responsibilities include daily interaction with DMED design and sustainment teams in TWL, Burbank and partner engagement with DMED Broadcast Operations. This role requires highly focused attention to detail, meeting the functional needs of implementation, meanwhile adhering to the established standards of the DMED technology portfolio. Project Engineers will likewise be sensitive to in-line production environments and working closely with facilities on calendars and coordination.
- Primary on-site engineering resource for implementation and commissioning
- Fulfill key documentation on initial implementation, labels, router tables, etc. to support 24/7 sustainment engineering
- Work and interact closely with key vendors, and the Sustainment Engineering team, to understand and validate performance after commissioning, and on feature development
- Conveying, generating and updating work order ticketing process; ability to generate detailed and timely reports on status of projects
- Perform preliminary performance metrics and curate results with Design
- Scheduling is typically standard business hours, Monday through Friday, but must be available to work some non-standard shifts including overnights and weekends as is required with implementation schedule
- All other duties as assigned by Leadership
- Two or more years of previous and relevant experience in a similar role
- Previous experience in, and foundational knowledge of, a multi-network broadcast environment involving play-to-air systems in both HD legacy baseband (SDI) and H.264 TS IP, including routing, distribution and processing
- Basic knowledge of video servers, storage systems, and a master control environment
- Basic knowledge and understanding of MPEG compression and transport stream analysis tools.
- Solid knowledge of IP Networking to support Remote Data Center Cloud Playback systems running on virtual applications servers.
- Knowledge of AES and Embedded Digital Audio processing, including Dolby 5.1 formats, loudness control, and level measurement technology.
- Prior experience with multi-display processor viewers using both IP and Baseband Video sources.
- IP networking experience with knowledge of IP multicast video steaming technologies.
- Foundational experience in simultaneous live broadcasts in a single environment.
- Exposure to next-generation and emerging media platforms or content.
- Knowledge and understanding of SCTE 35, 104 and 224 standards and other ancillary data, especially how ancillary data moves through various broadcast paths.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent mix of Trade School education and previous experience
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.