Transmission Specialist I
Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 773249BR Location Houston, Texas, United States; The Woodlands, Texas, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 23, 2021
Job Summary:In 2019, The Walt Disney Company acquired The Woodlands Broadcast Center, former home of the Fox Broadcast Company and home of the regional sports networks. With this acquisition, Disney’s Media Entertainment Distribution division is undergoing an unprecedented technological change, rebuilding legacy infrastructures and consolidating technology into two major broadcast facilities.
Digital Center 3, formerly The Woodlands Texas Broadcast Center, is the new home for ABC National Networks, Disney Cable Networks, and the newly acquired National Geographic and FX Cable Networks. As part of the cable and satellite distribution portfolio of services, this facility will also support disaster recovery play-out and distribution for ESPN Cable Networks.
To support this industry changing initiative, we are requesting headcount in the DMED - Transmission Operations Department for a Transmission Specialist I.
The Woodlands transmission team supports 24X7 engineering and operational sustainment for the Disney Cable Networks, FX/NatGeo and ESPN satellite distribution to 3000 commercial cable headends in North America. With the addition of the ABC Television Network as the primary uplink site, transmission will support 200+ over the air affiliate stations and over the top operations for ABC OTTO viewers using devices, PC’s, internet technologies and apps.
- Responsible for distribution, switching, and quality control monitoring of all full-time Disney Cable Networks/FX and NatGeo, ESPN DR, ABC Primary distribution and ABC OTTO regardless of the format (linear television, IP, fiber, etc.)
- Responsible for setup, timely reception, testing, and. monitoring of all contribution signals for our portfolio of networks
- Ensures all satellite, fiber or IP services are provisioned for the day accurately and on time
- Interacts with internal departments and outside service providers on a professional level
- Acts as technical liaison to affiliates, DMED clients, third party providers, and remote customers to troubleshoot signal issues
- Understanding of our streaming technologies and workflows including cloud playout from KMTC and NAP7 datacenters, communicates well with internal and external partners, ABC Affiliate Operations, DSS & VDMS in support of Disney Cable Nets/FX NatGeo and ABC OTTO
- Basic understanding of Conditional Access workflows and IRD’s associated with satellite distribution and all IRD models supporting our MVPD’s
- Ensures accurate transmission of all feeds and adjust to live programming changes.
- Basic understanding of signal processing and conditioning of video, audio for both baseband and IP multicast streams, and data content for use in our live production facilities and streaming services
- Demonstrates the ability to make video level and color adjustments when necessary.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage complex audio configurations, grooming multiple channels and makings audio level adjustments when necessary
- Ability to communicate upwards with technically accurate information on equipment failures, operational problems, and on-air discrepancies
- Embraces new technologies
- Expected to learn and be accurate with basic administrative functions such as time entry, expense filing, attendance, meeting participation and communication
- Expected to fill out survey research or training follow up documentation as department or company dictates
- Responsible for video conversion, audio up mix and monitoring ancillary data
- Ability to prioritize and time manage issues and projects during their shift
- Work nights, weekends and holidays
- As there are several disciplines and areas of expertise required in transmission, such as Video, RF, IP transport stream analysis, affiliate reception issues, FCC compliance, familiarity with all tools and signal flows will be required
- Basic knowledge and understanding of conceptual and engineering drawing sets
- Provides general suggestions on modifying procedures and processes for more streamline workflow
- Takes diagnostic and corrective actions to correct transmission problems associated with contribution or distribution signals
- Monitors Network signals and initiates corrective actions either with Transmission support or outside departments
- Learns technology and workflow to support assignments
- Complies fully with company and/or departmental SOPs and any other stated policies
- Contributes to analysis or problem solving measures needed to support the operation
- Must be adept at understanding routine information and demonstrate comprehension through operational accuracy
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and “next-gen” Technology
- Can carry and pickup, up to 50lbs, which includes walking up and down stairs and ladders
- Typically has 1+ years of experience in television broadcast, military or related field.
- Has awareness of digital distribution equipment used in audio and video satellite up linked and down linked television broadcast transmission.
- Has awareness of ASI & J2K fiber transport
- Has awareness of MPEG-2, MPEG4 or HEVC digital compression systems.
- Has awareness of encryption systems used for front-haul and back-haul transmission applications.
- Has basic knowledge of IP based transport (HLS, RTMP, unicast, multicast, etc.).
- Has basic knowledge Bonded-Cellular technology.
- Has basic knowledge of RF and use of test equipment, spectrum analyzers
- Is a modestly experienced technical individual contributor with good skills in working in a 24 X 7 technical operation
- Must have basic computer skills in Microsoft office applications.
- College degree, Trade School, or Military experience or equivalent practical experience preferred.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.