Hawaiian Cultural AdvisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10021760 Location Kapolei, Hawaii, United States Business Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa Date posted Dec. 29, 2022
Seeking a Hawaiian Cultural Advisor for Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa. This unique position serves as the Hawaiian Culture resource to the resort Cast Members, and owners/guests. As an educator and leader, the Hawaiian Cultural Advisor shares proper Hawaiian protocol and customs, fascinating stories of the homeland and its ancestors, maintain a presence of the Hawaiian culture in the resort, and encourages a cohesive relationship with the community.
The Hawaiian Cultural Advisor will work with other cultural practitioners in the Native Hawaiian community, members of the host culture, and the community at-large to provide further guidance and recommendations to the leadership team at Aulani. The Hawaiian Cultural Advisor will be responsible in the creation and management of the Hawaiian Cultural programs for the resort operations, collaborating with company and resort leadership. The Hawaiian Cultural Advisor will advise and assist in the training and support of Aulani Cast Members.
- Serve as a liaison to the Native Hawaiian community and Executive leadership team
- Coordinate and lead the planning and execution of cultural experiences and events
- Assist in the promotion of Aulani Resort by serving as a consultant to all departments to ensure that messages are accurate, and culturally sensitive
- Advise, influence and actively engage with all Cast Members in the development of a comprehensive cultural/educational training program for Aulani Cast Members; To include teaching and review of basic Hawaiian language
- Perpetuate a sense of place and pride through the creation of unique vehicles for storytelling, cultural tours, caring for the land, and other programs
- Advise leaders in opportunities to support and promote the preservation and perpetuation of the Hawaiian culture, the natural environment, and the community
- Identify possible partnerships with other organizations to support local Hawaiian cultural events
- Serve as a resource of the Hawaiian language in written and verbal form for internal/external communication, and presentations
- Assist as a Hawaiian Cultural representative for other Disney Parks or Walt Disney Company projects, as needed
- Ensure that Aulani Resort remains a “messenger of the chief” to properly represent Hawaii and celebrate the culture at all times
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested as a member of the Aulani Executive Committee
- Three years of related work experience in a hospitality setting
- Minimum of three years teaching/training/presentation experience
- Proven ability to work and relate to staff ranging from hourly Cast Members to Executives
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Hawaiian Culture to include protocol, history, the arts, and language skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Established relationships within the Native Hawaiian community
- A commitment to working in ways that support and encourage diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Candidate must be able to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends
- Ability to work well with various cultural groups and individuals and with various internal and external constituencies
- Proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- High school diploma or equivalent
- BS or BA in relevant field
- Background in community relations and communications
About Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa:
Combining the natural beauty and spirit of the Hawaiian islands with a touch of Disney magic, Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa embraces and celebrates Hawaiian culture and storytelling. Situated on 21 acres of oceanfront property on the island of O‘ahu, the resort was uniquely designed for families to discover the culture, history and traditions of Hawai‘i against a backdrop of blue skies and beautiful views. Cast members are integral to bringing these stories of Hawai‘i to life, while upholding Disney’s renowned service and enchanting entertainment offerings.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with DVC Hawaii Management Company, LLC, which is part of a business we call Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa.
DVC Hawaii Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.