Director - Print Production & ManufacturingApply NowApply Later Job ID 975473BR Location Kissimmee, Florida, United States Business Disney Publishing Worldwide Date posted May 10, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
Our ongoing commitment to quality, innovation and diverse representation is reflected in the breadth of our publishing list, which spans a variety of genres, categories, franchises, and imprints - including Hyperion Kids, Hyperion Avenue, National Geographic, ESPN, Andscape, Disney Press, Marvel Press, and Lucas Press.
The Director, Print Production & Manufacturing will be responsible for the global manufacturing aspects for all physical books under Disney Publishing Worldwide (DPW), releasing ~400 new titles annually in addition to approximately 1200 reprints.
The Director will be responsible for leading a team of 11, while managing relationship between Disney and its distributors, vendors, printers as well as third logistics teams to ensure the on-time delivery of printed and bound books ready for pick up by the logistics team. This role will also drive global co-print opportunities with DPW’s international licensee base and will works with the publishing editorial and design team to guide in the selection of printing specifications to address production challenges.
- Oversees production workflow and ensures files are submitted to printers on time and in accordance with specific printing instructions
- Oversees pre-press process (in-house and outsource)
- Reviews color and images on key titles with creative team and printing vendors using specially calibrated monitors (delivers to design team)
- Manages vendor contracts/quotes
- Manages competitive quoting printing process
- Awards printing jobs to third-party vendors
- Manage vendor contracts with Strategic Sourcing to achieve optimal terms
- Manages relationship with printers and resolves any issues that arise, while also partnering with Accounting, Finance, Legal and Creative teams as needed.
- Daily interaction with a myriad of internal teams to create printer ready files
- Reviews advance copies of printings and instructs printers to release from bindery
- Provides and/or reviews manufacturing cost estimates for acquisition P&Ls
- Represent Production team at executive level meetings
- Manufacturing estimates for project acquisition P&Ls
- PPB (paper, printing, and binding) costs
- Delivery dates of printed and bound books for pick up by logistics team according to manufacturing schedules
- Donation and returns strategy
- International Co-Prints
- Reviewing and processing manufacturing invoices for payment
- Solid experience leading a large experienced production team through the physical book production process in a wide range of formats, graphics, and color
- Background partnering with both domestic and overseas vendors
- Solid negotiating, influencing, and communication skills; demonstrating the ability to handle conflicts as they arise with professionalism and calm demeanor
- Leading Book Production/Manufacturing in a high-volume operation.
- Managing and maintaining a diverse, bi-coastal team to deliver high quality product in a timely manner
- Partnering with Strategic Sourcing to secure best pricing contracts for both components and finished goods
- Undergraduate degree with 10+ years of progressive print production/manufacturing experience, demonstrating extensive knowledge in the areas described below:
- Manufacturing process
- Paper specifications and sourcing
- Product components
- All applicable safety and quality regulations
Additional Information:This job is located in Orlando, FL.
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About Disney Publishing Worldwide:
Disney Publishing Worldwide helps bring our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games.The business is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Books, Inc., which is part of a business we call Disney Publishing Worldwide.
Buena Vista Books, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.