PH-Materials Engineer, PlasticsApply NowApply Later Job ID 10022453 Location Kissimmee, Florida, United States Business Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Oct. 03, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Material Engineer – Plastics (Project Hire) (Hardlines)
The Material Engineer for Plastics develops and manages the overall objectives, policies, and implementation plan of plastics materials that work towards Disney’s 2030 sustainability goals. They will partner with best-in-class suppliers and internal stakeholders as they investigate and identify acceptable biodegradable materials and compostable plastics that meet design execution standards for Disney merchandise. Reporting to the Director of Merchandise Sourcing for Hardlines, the Material Engineer for Plastics will be a key leader within the Sourcing team to make measurable progress in our sustainability goals.
This person possesses working knowledge of polymeric materials, sustainability, injection molding/manufacturing processes, and general principles of product design/merchandise sourcing. They are comfortable with independence and ambiguity in this new role to the Company. They excel in collaborating across a broad range of stakeholders in merchandise sourcing, product design, product safety and an international supplier community.
This position may require some travel if the candidate is not based in Orlando, Florida.
Strategy and Vision:
- Facilitate roll-out of 2030 Company materials goals by providing expertise to key merchandise and Licensing partners related to material substitutions, potential limitations, and long-term benefits of aligning with Company goals
- Assist in the formulation of overall objectives, policies, plans and programs and provide technical and specialized functional services and recommendations for carrying them out
- Investigate and identify acceptable biodegradable materials and compostable plastics that meet design execution standards for Disney merchandise
- Build and maintain materials library – core and sustainable materials
- Liaise with design, sourcing, and vendors to problem-solve any technical issues that may arise from materials substitutions or new manufacturing techniques that further the 2030 materials goals
- Help determine the nature of technical problems and possible solutions, such as material redesign, substitution of raw materials, or rearrangement of parts or subassemblies
- Evaluate emerging technologies for potential application to business needs
- Integrates new technologies as appropriate
- Assist Merchandise Sourcing team in source country diversification goals in partnership with suppliers by researching where sustainable plastics can be successfully manufactured in the world
- Collaborate with product safety team to ensure proposed materials meet all existing and foreseen Safety/Quality/Regulatory guidelines
Productivity and Process
- Optimize global merchandise productivity and profitability by identifying and mitigating cost drivers in any recommendations.
- Ability to manage flexible product development models that drive increased creativity and innovation from suppliers.
- Prepare standard and/or any ad-hoc reports as requested (time and action calendars, production timelines, status updates, etc.).
Collaboration and Communication
- Develop and cultivate strong partnerships with best-in-class suppliers and internal stakeholders as they pertain to evolution of our plastic material usage.
- Contact suppliers/vendors to follow up and verify the accuracy of provided data, resolve design/costing issues, and ensure supplier alignment with Disney processes and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Related experience in composites engineering, plastic manufacturing, and/or material research required
- Proven track record of effectively communicating with manufacturers and cross-functional stakeholders
- Project management experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and desire to be flexible, adapt to change, and grow with organization
- Openness to travel if requested by Disney
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Merchandising/Product Development/Design or comparable work experience within industry
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Merchandise Sourcing & Dist., LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Merchandise Sourcing & Dist., LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.