Senior Technical DirectorApply NowApply Later Job ID 10020052 Location Kissimmee, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Nov. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Senior Technical Director is responsible for leading technical production efforts related to the development of live entertainment shows and product offerings, including parades, stage shows and special events for Worldwide Disney Parks and Resorts locations. A Senior-level Technical Director must demonstrate superior abilities in Technical Direction, while specializing in a particular area of expertise. This role will be the accountable leader and subject matter expert for Props and Puppets.
This Senior Technical Director will lead development and production of the technical design elements for live entertainment projects, with a specialized focus on the design, fabrication, installation, and sustainment of Props and Puppets. This individual will serve as a leader to facilitate and integrate all design disciplines; and maintain project files, design documents, bid packages, schedules, and punch lists. Responsibilities include driving participation in creative development and coordinating/partnering with local and government authorities for legal code compliance (including but not limited to Safety, Engineering, RCID [permitting], ADA, etc.). Additional duties include coordinating bid processes and vendor selections with Contracts and/or Procurement; and managing vendor efforts including design development, construction, fabrication, shipping, integration with designers and other vendors, installation, acceptance testing, and turn-over. The Senior Technical Director is expected to lead large-scale, long-term projects, with potential oversight of other team members. As an accountable leader of projects and within their discipline, this individual must consistently demonstrate strong leadership skills; promote Company-wide standards and efficiencies; provide technical input for implementation and operational planning; function as a mentor in the development of Technicians and Project Assistants/Planners; and exhibit the aptitude and ability to successfully represent the Principal Designer and the overall department when called upon. This role will also conduct ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations of existing venues and offerings, providing support to sustain the original show design intent.
As a Props and Puppets subject matter expert, this Senior Technical Director will be required to have extensive knowledge and proven experience in the fabrication, use, and comprehensive maintenance of Props and Puppets. Areas of importance include miniature mechanical systems, actuators, wearable electronics, lightweight yet durable materials, and innovative fabrication techniques to minimize maintenance and provide easy access for repairs. This individual will understand and administer all applicable standards, and maintain detailed documentation to assist in the repair, refinishing, and/or replacement of existing Props and Puppets. This Senior Technical Director will initiate and maintain effective relationships with internal and external partners (Vendors, Safety/Ergonomics, Design Assurance, Character Puppetry and Articulation, Athletic Training, etc.) to ensure the Props and Puppets are designed and fabricated to be safely and repeatably utilized as intended.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Technical Theater or Themed Live Show Entertainment
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with entertainment industry state-of-the-art technologies, especially as they pertain to Props and Puppets
- Proven knowledge and understanding of the operation and artistic application of a wide variety of show systems and technology, including audio, special effects, lighting, show control systems, facilities, and rigging
- Proven experience with facility design, engineering, and construction
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to express creative ideas
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and able to meet deadlines
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and decision-making skills, often under pressure
- Demonstrated leadership, partnering and strategic planning skills
- Highly motivated, requiring minimal direction and follow up
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, AutoCAD)
- Proven ability to support the creative process by collaborating with other designers, directors, writers, and producers
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays, and travel
- Proven experience in international live show development
- Proven business management experience
- Proven knowledge and proficiency in some or all of the following engineering disciplines: structural, mechanical, electrical, software, safety
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed, and for extended periods of time
- Bi-lingual English/French and/or English/Mandarin a plus
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Entertainment Productions, which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Disney Entertainment Productions is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.