Sr Manager, Product Design - ToysApply NowApply Later NOTE: We have a new application system, please create a new account if you have not done so yet when applying. Job ID 2113997320220519 Location Kissimmee, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Jul. 22, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
The Senior Manager Product Design - Mickey and Classic Character & Pixar Hardlines will:
Lead the design and development of 20th Century Studios merchandise creation for Disney owned and operated businesses and licensed business. Manage multiple hardlines categories, such as toys, collectibles, and puzzles. Brands include Avatar, Tron, Simpsons, Ice Age, and many other 20th Century Studios properties. Work with multiple licensees and internal teams on product design development from concept through production. Monitor and maintain product quality through story, color, materials, form and function of products. Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure the highest quality, consumer focused, trend-right product lines across all channels of distribution (licensing, flex business models, vertical and wholesale) that build brand equity and meet financial targets.
- Manage an internal team to concept, design, sketch, prototype (including managing 3D development, sample creation, and electronic breadboards, where applicable) and deliver trend-right consumer centric product lines that feature market-leading innovation and great price/value for each retail segment.
- Manage and execute product and licensed packaging approvals through online systems and collaborative approval meetings, ensuring high quality standards in character execution, in-depth storytelling, color, material, form and function while maximizing profitability.
- Develop product concepts against strategic design vision for the overall product or assortment mix to deliver trend-right consumer centric product lines and execute product and packaging approvals ensuring high quality standards
- Develop and coach best-in-class design talent through consistent feedback on performance and provide regular development and coaching
- Collaborate with internal partners (Creative Design, Brand Merchandising, Licensing Commercialization, Sourcing and Tech Design, BERGs, CBM, Legal, Business Affairs, Product Integrity, Integrated Retail, BPM, Public Affairs, D&I teams, Cultural Consultants) and external partners (Studios & Disney Channel Content Providers, Games, Publishing, WDI, Licensees, DTR Partners) to design and approve all products
- Collaborate with the greater product design and creative teams to drive up-front trends, overall creative direction and identify future areas of growth within the franchise and across product categories, including the preparation of custom design tools and retail pitches to differentiate by category
- Collaborate with Global Product Design teams
- Monitor competitors, product innovation and market dynamics
- Onboard new Licensees, DTR, halo partners globally and locally
- Manage operating budget for category
- Multi-task and prioritize multiple design projects, running simultaneously with varying levels of complexity
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge in hardline design and development (materials, plastic, costing principals, and manufacturing considerations)
- Prior experience leading and managing, managing up to senior leaders and across with peers and partners
- Experience acting as a bridge between execution and strategy; to translate strategy into action
- Able to filter through complex issues, find solutions, gain support and implement change
- Demonstrated product design skills (e.g. 3D product design, technical design, sketching, creative application and manipulation of art, final mechanical art)
- Proficient computer software skills (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (e.g. industrial design, toy design, fashion design)
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
This role is located in Orlando, FL.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Global Product Dev & Creative, which is part of a business we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Global Product Dev & Creative is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.