Animal Keeper Associate: ElephantsApply NowApply Later Job ID 10070548 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted Nov. 20, 2023
About the Role & Team
Walt Disney's legacy of caring for animals and the environment is a way of life for Disney Experiences and our Guests. Disney's Animals, Science and Environment team's mission is to lead Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to CARE for animals and the environment, CONNECT people to nature and CONSERVE our natural resources.
We are looking for an Animal Keeper Associate to join the Elephant team at Disney's Animal Kingdom. You will work closely with fellow keepers to assist in the care, well-being, management, behavioral conditioning, and enrichment of a multi-generational, mixed sex herd of African elephants.
This is a full-time, hourly position, reporting to a team of Zoological Managers.
What You Will Do
- Daily responsibilities include: cleaning, animal observations, diet preparation, and medications. Reporting abnormal conditions to zoological managers.
- Maintain daily records, collecting and logging information, and ensuring this information is communicated to management and the central record keeping system of Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Be a part of a larger animal team and work well in a team environment. Keepers will work with partners from maintenance, horticulture, veterinary, and operations teams, as well as educators and scientists. Keepers may also be required to develop proficiencies in other animal areas.
- Provide animal information and conservation messages through Guest and Cast interaction.
- The work includes physical labor in ambient outdoor temperatures and weather conditions in Central Florida, which may include extreme heat and humidity.
- Work a variety of shifts including early morning start times (5AM) or late evening ending times (12AM) and may be required to work weekends and holidays.
Required Qualifications & Skills
High school degree or equivalent plus a minimum of either:
- 1 year paid experience as a keeper in an AZA accredited institution or in an institution with equivalent standards and two years verifiable college coursework with an emphasis in zoology, animal science, biology, etc
- 2 years paid experience as a keeper in an AZA accredited institution or in an institution with equivalent standards and 1 year verifiable college coursework (30 semester hours).
- Comfortable lifting up to 50 pounds as needed in the work area
- Observation, evaluation, and data collecting skills
- Guest service skills
- 2 year Associate's or 4 year college degree in Biology or related field
- Experience working with large terrestrial mammals, especially elephants
- Practical knowledge and experience with operant conditioning
- Computer literacy
Benefits and Perks
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.