Animal Keeper Associate - Primates/CarnivoresApply Now Apply Later Job ID 874786BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted 10/13/2021
- Keepers are responsible for the day-to-day animal care and welfare. This includes husbandry, enrichment, and behavioral conditioning as it relates to the daily management and research of assigned species
- Ensure the daily routines of cleaning, animal observation, diet preparation and reporting medical needs or abnormal conditions to Zoological Managers
- Maintain daily records, collecting and logging information, and ensuring this information is communicated to management and the central animal record keeping system
- The work includes physical labor in ambient outdoor temperatures and weather conditions in Central Florida, which may include extreme heat and humidity
- Provide animal information and conservation messages through guest and cast interaction.
- Keepers must work well in a large team environment
- Partner with maintenance, operation managers, horticulture, veterinary staff, educators and scientists.
- Keep a flexible schedule, working a variety of shifts including early morning start times (6AM) or late evening ending times (8PM), as necessary to support operation hours
- Minimum of one year paid animal husbandry experience in an AZA accredited facility or institution with comparable standards. Internships are not included for work experience.
- Experience working with different taxa with an emphasis on behavioral conditioning.
- Observation, evaluation and data collecting skills
- Experience applying operant conditioning techniques in the field
- Proven strong interpersonal and partnering skills
- Ability to work in a large team environment
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the role including lifting manure, moving doors, and carrying heavy objects (bales of bedding, feed bags, etc.)
- Demonstrates strong guest focus and promotes guest experiences
- Experience working with a variety of Primate, Felid, Meerkat and Megachiroptera species
- High school degree or equivalent plus a minimum of either:
- One year paid experience as a keeper in an AZA accredited institution, or in an institution with equivalent standards, and/or at least two years of verifiable college course work (60 semester hours)
- Bachelor's or Associate's Degree in Zoology or related field
- Two years of verifiable college course work (60 semester hours)
Additional Information:Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.