Decision Science Internship, Spring 2020 – Orlando, FL
Lake Buena Vista, FL - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 697132BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted 12/08/2019
Decision Science Internship, Spring 2020 - Orlando, FL
The Disney Decision Science and Integration (DDSI) team supports clients across The Walt Disney Company, including Disney Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, Disney Cruise Line, Media Networks (i.e. ABC, ESPN), Studio Entertainment, Disney Theatrical Group (e.g., Broadway shows), and Disney Interactive Media in the core competencies of yield management, revenue planning, forecasting, pricing, and optimization. Key partners to the DDSI organization include Marketing, Finance, Business Development, Research, and Operations. Roles within DDSI develop, analyze, and execute strategies to maximize profitability and improve the value proposition for our Guests, Cast Members, and Shareholders.
The Decision Science team creates innovative scientific models and data-driven decision support tools that are used by business units across The Walt Disney Company to make better business decisions. From establishing appropriate science methodologies to implementing continuous innovation, the Decision Science team is instrumental in determining the success of our entire global enterprise.
Disney Data: McKay, Senior Principal of Decision Science
Responsibilities:Make an impact by building operations research and statistical models for various revenue management and pricing systems. The interns help in this process by:
- Modeling and analyzing revenue management, pricing, marketing, and other business analytics applications using various mathematical, statistical, and simulation techniques
- Supporting the analysis and validation of forecasting and optimization models
- Performing data collection, data cleaning, data validation, and reporting tasks for various business analytics systems and applications
Basic Qualifications:What You Bring to the Role:
- Strategic problem solving & analytical skills
- Experience with statistical modeling software (e.g. R, Python, SAS) or experience with mathematical programming software (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi, Xpress, Google OR, COIN-OR, SAS/OR)
- Proficient in at least one of the following programming languages: R, Python, SAS, Java, Julia, C++, Matlab
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail
- Aptitude and willingness to learn new science, software applications, and tools
- Experience gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data and reporting on the results
- Proficiency with Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with SQL or Tableau
- Experience using machine learning algorithms
- Proficiency with statistical methods such as linear regression, generalized linear models, and hierarchical/mixed models
- A working knowledge of deterministic optimization (e.g., linear programming, integer programming, mixed integer programming), or other optimization (nonlinear programming, dynamic programming, etc.)
- Experience and expertise of using mathematical programming software and/or developing algorithms for large scale optimization problems
- Proficiency with forecasting methodologies
- Proficiency with Bayesian statistics
- Proficiency with discrete event simulation
- Prior research or industrial experience in revenue management, pricing, and/or supply chain applications
- Proficiency with neural networks and/or deep learning
- Proficiency with text mining methods, such as natural language processing, sentiment analysis, and topic modeling
- Graduate Level student or recently graduated from a Graduate program (within 6 months of graduating) pursuing a Master's Degree or PhD in Statistics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Math, Economics, or related field
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be enrolled in a college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past six (6) months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
- Program Dates: Interns must be fully available, full-time, 40 hours per week, from January 2020 through June 2020.
- Required Materials: Resume and transcripts must be uploaded at time of online application.
- Transportation: Interns must have reliable transportation to get to and from work for the duration of their internship program.
- Housing: A limited number of housing is available for Florida based participants. Interns are able to sign up for housing once they have accepted an internship offer.
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.