Director-Retail & Point of Sale EngineeringApply NowApply Later Job ID 10029950 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Disney Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Feb. 28, 2023
At Disney, we’re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. The Walt Disney Company is a world-class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
This role is responsible for vision, leadership, planning, engineering, implementation in retail and restaurant technology services in support of teams delivering high-quality, reliable, cost effective and stable technology solutions in Disneyland and Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts. The team is responsible for the ongoing engineering development and maintenance of the POS system, mobile ordering, mobile check out, kitchen management, entitlement engine and other employee facing productivity tools.
You will work closely with executives of business and finance to understand strategic goals and objectives and deliver the technology solutions that meet those goals. You will also work closely with security and compliance to ensure that processes, systems, and ongoing development are meeting all requirements and guidelines.
- The immediate focus will be to build and guide a new engineering organization in the retail and restaurant space, including focus on point of sale.
- In collaboration with senior Disney leadership, defines the vision, strategy, and roadmap for Retail/Restaurant technology and digital commerce platform services.
- Defines and applies modern policies, processes, and practices to ensure that proper solution delivery architecture and implementation are clearly documented, stable, secure, resilient, delivered efficiently, and meets company objectives.
- Proactively manage individual and team performance to ensure achievement of team goals.
- Hires, leads, and mentors high caliber technologists to execute the strategic vision and direction for the retail platform.
- Supports the incident response team and leads activities to resolve highest priority issues in a timely and accurate fashion. Will act as the highest escalation point for retail technology issues.
- Ensure compliance with internal (Disney) and external requirements (SOX/PCI/Audits/GDPR).
- Develop and drive technology strategy for business initiatives, and actively engage as a thought-partner with business leaders on ways technology and digital solutions can inform and drive business strategies.
- Cultivate the agile & continuous delivery mindset and provide processes and tools to build leaders and teams that can successfully adapt to the fast-paced changes of the industry and deliver incremental value quickly and frequently.
- Develop a strong practice for technology and digital business relationship management for retail and restaurant businesses, closely partnering with business leaders and other stakeholders to ensure technology long-term plans and short-term initiatives align with and drive business goals.
- Ensure the sustainment organization and technology is positioned to deliver highly stable, scalable, and reliable results.
- Implement and leverage metrics and telemetry to drive and quantify performance, and availability
- Drive recommendation/decision for build vs buy for new and existing solutions, inclusive of hardware through a decision-making framework
- Manage and facilitate annual operating budget and strategic planning
- Inspire, motivate, and lead a team to produce quality work in the development of solutions
- Be an inclusive leader that understands and embraces diversity
- Manage the day-to-day tasks of diverse teams, while effectively influencing executives on key decisions and direction
- Deliver solutions on time and on budget
- Responsible and accountable for decisions related to strategy, engineering, delivery, and operations for online and physical commerce across all US Parks and resorts.
- Deep understanding of modern deployment and development infrastructure: CI/CD. Unit and end-to-end testing, and cloud/enterprise deployment in AWS
- Strong familiarity with AWS, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Helm, Java, Kotlin, Golang, Python. MySQL, MongoDB
- Deep understanding and experience engineering applications to be compliant with SOX/PCI/GDPR and other security requirements
- Strong background in agile methodologies and ability to mentor others in their use
- Demonstrated ability to connect and influence others to achieve organizational priorities
- Demonstrated ability to develop geographically and otherwise diverse highly technical teams
- Ability to communicate effectively to executive leadership in both business and technology roles
- Demonstrated exceptional critical thinking, strategic planning, and process management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation and group dynamics skills
- Demonstrated excellence in client/partner relationship management with senior executives
- Ensure adherence to continuous improvement practices as required to meet quality and time to market
- 5+ years as software engineering manager for scalable retail consumer applications on iOS and Android
- AWS Professional certification (Developer, Solutions Architect, DevOps)
- Experience with highly scalable distributed transaction heavy applications in retail or restaurant industry
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or work related experience.
- 10+ years of experience leading high performing technology teams engineering, deploying, and maintaining scalable and resilient enterprise solutions hosted in AWS
- 7+ years proven experience/success leading high performing agile software development teams building distributed POS software or something similar in nature
- Knowledge and experience engineering/deploying/maintaining solutions for a multi-concept retail/restaurant/operations fortune 100 enterprise
- Ability to be flexible in approach and manage through areas of uncertainty.
About DPEP Technology and Digital:
We are engineers, artists, innovators, product managers, analysts, animators, integrators, data scientists, writers, business leaders. We are a dynamic team that supports all businesses across the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment, including: theme parks, resort hotels, Disney Signature Experiences (Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club, Adventures by Disney, and Aulani), food and beverage, physical and digital retail, gaming, licensing, publishing and Walt Disney Imagineering.
Our work creates incredible Guest and Cast Experiences and makes productive and transformative work environments for our Cast, Crew and Imagineers. Our commercial orientation continuously creates business value and enables accelerated business growth.
About Disney Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.